Chapter 7: Memorial Service

Once Cassie and Five went downstairs they both headed to the living room area taking in their surroundings. Everything looked almost exactly the same except for the portrait painting of Five hanging above the fireplace.

Cassie stood next to Five as both of them stared at the painting. Cassie looked around the room one more time realizing that there really wasn't anything the family had to remember her. The girl knew deep inside that she only spent around 6 years with the family and that she was never really part of it. At least that how it always felt like and seeing Five's portrait hanging on the wall by himself completely confirmed it.

Suddenly Cassie felt small footsteps coming from behind her and she slowly turned around coming face to face with Vanya and gave her a half-smile. Five just stood there staring at the picture not really acknowledging her sister's presence.

"Nice to know dad didn't forget me." Five said staring at the picture. Cassie who was standing next to him just looked down knowing she couldn't say the same thing.

Vanya took instant notice of the girl's reaction and felt bad for her. Vanya knew everything Cassie went through before she joined the academy. She was the only one who knew the truth and also the only one Cassie told about her feelings of not feeling part of the family. This really resonated with Vanya because she also never really felt part of the family after her father completely excluded her from everything that had to do with her siblings who had superpowers.

"Cass, I'm sorry," Vanya said looking at the much younger girl standing in front of her.

"No, it's okay. I understand." Cassie said, looking back at Vanya and giving her a fake smile. "I'm glad to be back." She said honestly.

"We read your book, by the way." Five said turning to look at Vanya and then looked over at Cassie. "We found it in a library that was still standing. I thought it was pretty good, all things to be considered." Five said as he paced around the room checking it out some more. "Yeah, definitely ballsy giving up the family secrets. Should that went over well." Five said and turned to look at Vanya and Cassie.

"I personally really liked it. You didn't say anything that wasn't the truth and I admire you for that." Cassie said looking at Vanya. "Of course, the truth hurts. Well, depending on who you tell." The girl said standing still and glanced over at Five.

"They hate me," Vanya said breaking her silence.

"Oh, there are worse things that can happen." Five said at Vanya putting his hands on his pockets.

"You mean like what happened to Ben?" Vanya asked Five not realizing Cassie's sad reaction once Ben was brought into the conversations.

Five looked over at Cassie noticing the sudden change in her mood and stayed quiet. Vanya turned her view at the girl that was next to her knowing she had hit a soft spot for her.

"Was it that bad?" Cassie asked quietly at Vanya and she just looked at her nodding her head slowly. There really weren't enough words to describe the terrible day that Ben passed away.

Five stared at Cassie as she turned her view back to the floor knowing she was very upset. He had dealt with her for 45 years so he knew every single little detail about how she expressed her emotions and what they meant. He knew what Ben meant to her she confessed it to him the same night he kissed her for the first time. And being honest that day he was relieved to know that she wasn't in love with Ben, that instead she always saw him as a real brotherly figure. He couldn't really explain why he felt relieved about it, he just did. The kiss he gave her that night was completely out of impulse. Something took over him that very same day that he just thought it was the right thing to do. But only seconds later he knew he fucked up and tried covering it up with some dumb excuse.