Chapter 8: Before The Academy

A/N: Hi everyone, this chapter will contain some topics that might be triggering for some people. I really don't want to drop the chapter without any warnings because I know these are some serious topics and don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. Anyways if you are okay with any triggering content and don't want to get spoiled just skip this author's note to avoid it. The trigger warnings are the following; child abuse and attempt of rape on a minor. If you aren't comfortable with this please be cautious when reading the flashback included in this chapter.

—————=+=—————

Cassie walked up the stairs the words that Diego said to her at the backyard still echoing inside her head. This was too much for the girl who has already dealt with so much pain in her life. If only everyone knew. She was on her way to her room when unexpectedly Five spatial jumped in front of her catching her completely off guard.

"Geez," Cassie said as she got jumped scared.

"Where do you think you are going? We have things to do." Number Five said standing in her way staring at the girl.

"I'm not in the mood," Cassie replied and tried pushing him aside but was unable to. She had the same physical strength she had when she was 13 years old after all.

"Are you really going to let whiny ass Diego get to you? Come on." Five said trying to stop Cassie from walking away. The boy knew she was upset but they didn't have time for petty drama. The quicker they got to stop the apocalypse the more time they will have to waste doing whatever they wanted.

"You know what? After all this time... I thought you would be able to understand that what Diego said just wasn't a simple petty comment." Cassie said and took a step to the side and walked pass Five.

-Flashback to the Apocalypse-

It has been 5 years since Cassie and Five got themselves trapped in the apocalypse. They were both now 18 years old and honestly neither of them could believe it had been that long. Their lives in the apocalypse were extremely repetitive and that's coming from 2 people who used to follow a strict routine and schedule almost every day. What else was there to do?

Anyone would think that after 5 years the pair would manage to get close to each other and even become friends. But instead, they just tolerated one another. They still had arguments every so often. They just learned how to not take it that far, but there were always a few exceptions where they just couldn't help it.

After a long day of scavenging Cassie found her way back to the place she would call 'home'. Well, for at least a few more weeks till it was time to move again. The weather had been extremely cold for the past few months and both Five and Cassie had come to the conclusion that it was nature trying to wipe them off the face of the earth. But of course, they were not going to allow that to happen.

The place they were living in, for now, was a small house. It was mostly destroyed but there was a room in a specific right in the middle of the structure that was mostly intact. The best part about it? Well, it had a fireplace which in this extreme weather was of huge help.

Cassie walked inside the room and took in her surroundings and by her surprise, Five wasn't back yet. She walked over to the fireplace and started removing the layers and layers of clothing she had on to protect herself from the cold. Once she removed all the extra layers she was wearing a plain green sweater that fitted her way too big and some pants.

Finding clothes that were in a good state in the apocalypse wasn't the easiest of tasks. The last time they found some it was a year prior and somehow they both managed to outgrow them. So when they found what was left of a clothing store a few days prior they obviously took everything they could find.