Chapter 12: The Meritech Act

Five watched Cassie leave his room and stood by the door taking a deep breath. He felt so close to saving humanity and yet so far at the same time. He turned around hearing a loud noise coming from his wardrobe and unexpectedly the doors opened revealing a most likely intoxicated Klaus.

"That's so..." Klaus said stepping out of the wardrobe gasping for air. "touching, all that stuff about family and Dad, Time, and Cass. Wow! You really have a soft spot for her, huh? Let me guess, after all these years you've spent with her you now have feelings for her." Klaus said teasingly looking around Five's room.

"Would you shut up? She'll hear you." Five turned to Klaus and whispered loud enough for him to hear.

"Oh! So I am right." Klaus said looking at Five with a smile on his face.

"No! Of course, not. You are never right." Five said defending himself.

"I'm moist," Klaus said randomly.

Five looked at him and groaned not really wanting to deal with this, but he knew that if he wanted the information he needed he had to.

"I thought Cassie told you to put something professional." Five said looking at Klaus' outfit.

"What? This is my nicest outfit." Klaus responded not seeing anything wrong with his clothes. This was as professional as it could get for his standards.

Five sighed and turned around shaking his head completely done. "We'll raid the old man's closet." He said walking out of his room heading to his Father's quarters.

"Whatever, as long as I get paid," Klaus said following behind him.

"When the job is done." Five said making clear his conditions for the deal.

"Okay, but just so we're clear on the finer details, I just gotta go into this place and pretend to be your dear old dad, correct?" Klaus said stopping in the hallway outside of Five's room.

"Yeah, something like that." Five said as he stopped walking and turned to face Klaus.

"What's our cover story?" Klaus asked wanting to fill in the details of how he was Five's dad.

"What? What are you talking about?" Five asked raising his eyebrow confused about what Klaus was trying to say. And being honest he really didn't care either.

"I mean, I was really young when I had you? Like, 16? Like, young and terribly misguided?" Klaus said starting to make a complete backstory of his life as Five's dad.

"Sure." Five said looking at him uninterested.

"Your mother, that slut. Whoever she was. We met at..." Klaus made a pause trying to think of something to say. "the disco." He chuckled to himself as he continued with the story. "Okay? Remember that." He said looking at Five and snapped his fingers as he continued to give in more details. "Oh my god, the sex was amazing." He said and Five looked at him disgusted.

"What a disturbing glimpse into that thing you call a brain." Five said putting his hands on his pockets and turned around making his way to his father's room.

"Don't make me put you in time-out," Klaus said as if he was on character pretending to be the boy's father. "Oh! You know what? Cassie should act as your girlfriend too. To make the story more believable. Maybe that way you would stop being all grumpy." He said as he followed after the boy.