EIGHTEEN| .- -. ... .-- . .-. ...

"What are you two doing here?!" 

19's voice was rough but panicked, as if he was trying to force a stern anger but also held fear in his throat that he was unable to dispose of. 

Jimin refused to move and still held his protective stance even in his surprise as you lightly pushed against his arm to move forward in shock. The sand underneath your feet sunk in lightly as 19 moved closer as best as he could with his older body on the slight dip down to the beach. 

Jimin was still unsure of the situation and the fact that the older man was breaking the rules of the Between as well, so when he approached the two of you Jimin stiffened and blocked your view from him once more in a protective way.

"Us?" he made out, eyes narrowing at the old man who stopped in his tracks upon seeing the protective stance and glared back. "What about you?"

Your mind was still whirling and trying to comprehend the fact that your coworker was there. Your throat tightened when you looked to see the number on his neck and finally realization hit. Eyes wide and hesitant like fragile glass, you once again lightly moved from behind Jimin to make eye contact with the old man.

"19?" You softly repeated in a questioning manner, his form loosening immediately upon hearing your confused and hesitant voice speak his number. 

He sighed after you spoke, face sagged and tired as he ran his fingers through his beard.

"Come with me," he finally motioned, turning back the way he came and leaving the two of you confused as to what you should do as he called back over his shoulder. "And hurry. Trust me, you don't want to be here when the sun fully sets."

Although hesitant and unsure, something about his serious words triggered something in you to obey. You followed, feet sinking into the wet sand before Jimin gripped onto your wrist tightly with a shaking hand. 

You looked back to see that his expression was just as hesitant as your heart. The wind from the beach was moving his bangs against his forehead in a dance and his eyes were flickering against yours as you read him.

He had been scared and doubtful this whole time, and guilt for wanting him to come with you ate at your heart. He was terrified, and now this fear was eating at him.

"Peanut," he spoke so lightly that his words might have been stolen by the warm breeze. "I don't like this. I don't like anything about this. We shouldn't be here... I can just feel it. I also don't know if we should follow 19, I mean..." His eyes flickered in hesitance, "What if he tells on us or... isn't what he seems?"

You hated to admit it, but similar thoughts were racing through your own head. Your goals for going behind the curtain felt unreached, and nothing about the alternate world was answering your questions. Instead it had only led to more, and now you even had doubts about your beloved coworker. 

These thoughts alone made your heart sink into a feeling of despair and you hesitated in this feeling. Maybe Jimin had been right. Was all of this worth it for the risk of getting your numbers jumped? 

As you looked at your friend and took in his features and the warmth of his skin against yours, you wondered if you had made a mistake. 

"Hurry!" 19's urgent and gruff voice came, causing you to blink and shake your head to clear it. Jimin continued to look doubtful, but you moved your hand upwards so he would release his hold and instead brushed your fingers against his in reassurance as you faked a smile.

"Don't worry," you spoke softly. "Let's just... see what he has to say."

Soon you were facing 19, swallowing hard as you obeyed his orders and ran after him. Jimin watched for only a second before chasing after you, and soon the sand underneath your feet became more scarce as 19 led you into the more forested area.