Chapter 20

He... he... enjoy?

Not reread or edited.

Plans for the wedding were going very well, although Brant had been held back and still couldn't  make it to California. Jolie tried to hide it but Sophie could tell she was worried about him. The fires in Florida were getting worse, new homes were burning down everyday along with dozens of deaths. The wedding was in two weeks and Sophie hoped that they wouldn't have to push it back. 

Sophie was lying on the couch reading one of her favourite books. When she heard soft crying from somewhere in the house. She searched the whole couch for her bookmark, finally finding it between two cushions. She carefully slid the teal bookmark into her book, and laid it on the coffee table. The crying was getting stronger, she walked towards the sound until she was outside a door.

Jolie's door.

Sophie knocked not wanting to intrude. "Come in." Jolie said through her sobs. Sophie slowly opened the door, revealing a sobbing Jolie with mascara rubbed all over her face. Her cellphone was lying next to her on the bed. Sophie slowly approached her devastated sister, and wrapped her arms around her. 

"Jolie, what's wrong?" Sophie asked, wanting to know what would make Jolie so devastated. 

"Brant." She replied simply. What happened to brant? Sophie wondered.

 "What about Brant? I know it might be hard to tell me, so you don't have to, ok?" Jolie nodded, but started to talk anyway. Her words were hard to understand due to her tears that were rapidly climbing down her cheeks.

 "He.. he went into.. the .. fire... but didn't... co.. come back out... th... they haven't fou...found a bo... body th... though." Sophie continued hugging her sister and rubbing circles onto her back as she took the news in. They haven't found a body so he could still be alive.

 "Well if they haven't found a body, he could still be alive. We just have to hope. Remember what you told me? If it's meant to be it will be, never underestimate destiny. If you and Brant are meant to be together, which you are. Then you will. So do me a favour and don't lose hope just yet." Sophie said reassuringly, as she tried to comfort Jolie. 

"I'll try." Jolie choked out as a response. They stayed like this for the rest of the day. And the whole time Sophie was creating a plan in her mind. She wasn't just going to lay on her bed and cry any longer she would take action and find Brant. The only question was how?

§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§

The next day was Monday, and Sophie needed help with her plan that was halfway established. She had woken up early and had run on the bus the second it had arrived. She searched all the seats for her friends and the second she spotted them she dashed to their sides and sat down. 

"Guys, I have some bad news. I think I might have a plan to fix it but I need help. This might be dangerous so you definitely do not have to help me with it." 

"We're in." They all said at the same time. Sophie blinked, how did they do that? Say everything at the same time, it was getting creepy.

 "Ok then. Ready for the bad news?"

 "Lay it on us." Fitz responded. Sophie took a deep breathe. 

"So, Jolie got a call. Apparently Brant ran into the fire but hasn't come out yet. But they haven't found a body. So maybe we could go find him wherever he is." When Sophie finished all her friends stared at her. "What?" Sophie asked them.

 "It's just, are you suggesting that we fly to Florida, and search for Brant who may or may not be alive?" Dex asked. Clearly everyone had the same concerns as Dex. 

"Yeah..." Sophie said, realising how insane her plan sounded now that she heard it out loud. "Ok, I guess that is a little crazy but what else can we do? Jolie is devastated. She was, no is getting married to the man in two weeks." 

"I don't know Sophie, all we can do is hope for the best." Biana said, as she wrapped her arms around her. Sophie nodded. 

"I guess." Sophie leaned into Biana, and tried to think of best case scenarios, but instead all she could think of was the worst case scenarios.

§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§<>§

"Sophie? Sophie! Earth to the ghost of Sophie!" Sophie jolted out of her own universe. And looked up from behind her hair. 

"Huh? Yeah?" She asked when she was fully present.

 "You've been zoning out the whole class, I'm finally rubbing off on you!" Keefe said, standing up and doing a crazy victory dance. 

"Mr. Sencen, back to your seat." Ms. Galvin said sternly.

 "Yeah, I uh have a lot on my mind." Sophie said quietly, while looking away. Keefe slowly sat back down on his stool. He reached out his hand as if he was going to lay it on her shoulder, but dropped it at the last second.

 "Sophie, I know I crack a lot of jokes. But that doesn't mean I don't care. I do. A lot." Sophie turned back around to look at him, he looked serious and she felt that she could tell him anything. But there was no way she was going to tell him what was going on at school, let alone in the middle of class. And for some reason she felt he should know what was going on, she didn't know why, she just knew he should. But she was still mad at him for kissing Barbra, but she was scared to confront him. What if Barbra was lying? That would soo embarrassing, plus she wanted to trust Keefe, and even though she didn't want to admit it she did trust Keefe. 

 "Do you really want to know?" She just had to make sure he actually wanted to know. 

"Yeah, I do."

"Ok, um meet me at the front of the school at three." Sophie said quickly before she could change her mind. Keefe smiled a genuine smile. 

"It's a date, Foster." She knew he was just teasing but, of course she blushed anyway. Keefe smirked and turned back toward Ms. Galvin, but of course he was drawing not studying his Chemistry book.

Ok I know y'all aren't very happy with me right now. But that's Ok, trust me you will be later! Also did you spot the couple of Kotlc quotes I put in there? So uh hope you enjoyed?

Cya later my BookButterflies!