Math's Like, Hard

Third Person POV

Jennie Kim was ready to start her summer with a bang, not a logarithm. She'd just moved into a gorgeous new house with her best friend and snagged an exciting summer job teaching at a day camp. There was a hot art teacher down the street who'd asked for her number. Things should've been off to a wicked start.

But Jennie, the foolish Dance and Chemistry double major, had to spend three nights a week at Weston-Orwell, Sailor University's math and natural science building. She excelled in a number things: analytical chemistry, modern dance, and making her friend Tori break out of her shell. But math wasn't one of those things, and Jennie needed to understand calculus in order to get her chemistry degree. After barely passing some of the more difficult tests in Physical Chemistry, Jennie's advisor suggested that she take summer tutoring.

The night she had to register, Jennie flopped down on her couch and kicked her feet onto her best friend's lap. "I can't believe I'm spending my Fridays on campus," she moaned. "What kind of messed up world do we live in?"

"I don't see why you're complaining," Nayeon retorted. "Isn't Weston-Orwell the one where they have a 24-hour hot drink bar?"

"Yes and? Why should I care about coffee if I'm not getting it with a hot art teacher?" She whined.

Nayeon, who as far as Jennie knew was woefully single, shrugged. "Call Joohyun if you want to complain. Or Mina. I hear she's back in town."

Jennie sat up. "Nayeon, you're a genius. We should have a girl's night!"

Her lazy housemate sunk further into her seat. "Please don't."

But at that point Nayeon should've known that once Jennie had an idea, she ran with it. Days later, Nayeon and Jennie were joined by Bae Joohyun, who'd gone abroad with Jennie that fall, and Myoui Mina, who's just returned from a semester in England. Mina eagerly agreed, revealing to her friends that she was recovering from a brief love affair with her best friend that ended in a spectacular fashion.

"Did I know he was bisexual? I had a feeling." The tense blonde tightened her ponytail, allowing Jennie to rub her shoulders. "I would have loved a memo before he went off and slept with half of Switzerland, but it's fine."

Nayeon looked up from her pint of mocha fudge ice cream. "Is that an exaggeration?"

"Here," Mina said, handing Nayeon her phone. "Check his Instagram feed."

As the ginger scrolled through the feed, she whistled. "This is why I don't date boys," Nayeon said, giving Mina her phone back. "Too much...everything."

Joohyun snorted.

"What?" Nayeon said. "I'm serious."

"You don't date boys," Joohyun emphasized. "What about men?"

Flushing a shade darker than her ginger hair, Nayeon buried her face into her ice cream pint. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Joohyun."

"Get out of town," Jennie gasped, falling off the couch. "Nayeon! Who the hell are you fucking?"

Nayeon pulled her beanie down over her eyes. "I'm not...it's not a big deal," she huffed. "I have simply found myself in a relationship with an older woman. It's not that uncommon." Nayeon sent a pointed look across the room. "Isn't it?"

Joohyun rolled her eyes. "Yes, fine, I am also sleeping with someone who is much older than me. She's in her mid 30's and wonderful." She threw a fuzzy pillow at Nayeon's face. "And I am fully willing to tell you about how great it is."

"What's her name?" Mina asked.

"Anything but that."

Jennie was still focused on her best friend. "C'mon, Nay, can you tell me something about your mystery woman?" She lay flat out on the ground, batting her eyelashes at Nayeon. "Is she tall? Does she like modern art? What's she do for a living?" Jennie put her hand up and whispered, "Is she packing?"