Halloween Roulette

L I S A

"Come on sis, it's just a Halloween party. You'll be in a costume. Not one person will ever even know that you're there."

Kim JongIn a.k.a Kai, my longtime friend and roommate here at FSU always had an angle or scam to get into a party or event that was being held within social circles that we didn't normally run with. The Halloween Party in question, was being thrown by one of the bigger sororities and their parties were always said to be epic events.

"I can't buddy. Like the Dean's committee said last month, I'm on "Double Secret Probation", and that's at least until the end of the semester. Maybe longer, if my review doesn't go well." The powers that be, stole that line from Animal House, but it seemed to work for them.

At the start of the school year, I had been caught selling a series papers and assignments to freshman. Due to my grades and otherwise clean record, the specially assigned committee allowed me to stay, as long as I made financial restitution to all those that I sold papers to and agreed to stay out of trouble, and trouble according to them included attending parties.

"Bullshit. How many times do I have to tell you, no one will know that your there and I can't go unless I bring a wingman, they said so."

"Really buddy, I'd love to help you out and you know it, but I can't risk the pending disciplinary action."

"Fuck that shit. I promise you. We'll get cool costumes, and no one will know who we are. There will be some topnotch girls there. Be a pal." JongIn wasn't even close to giving up on this one.

"Yeah, that reminds me. Why were you invited? That sorority tends to go for the all-pro jock type, not the nerdy type like you and me, if you can convince me to go."

"We're not nerds you fucking dick, we're jocks."

"Tennis. We're on the tennis team, Kai. That does not make us jocks."

"Yeah, but we're fuckin good. Ranked number one and two, buddy. One and two."

"Okay. But you're also the president of the FSU Magic Card Club and that, in anyone's books, equals nerd."

"It's a cool club, so go fuck yourself." Kai tossed the remote to me and flopped backward onto his bed. The silent treatment was his form of sulking and it has been since we met more than fourteen years ago.

"Tell you what. You get the costumes. If they're cool enough that I don't think that I'll get busted, I'll go, but only if I don't feel like I'll get busted."

"You're my bitch Lisa, you're my bitch." Kai always perked up when he got his way. Usually I would have made him sulk for a few days before giving in, but I had a couple of important tests coming up and a rather large assignment that was due, so I needed him out of my hair.

"Yeah, that's me Lalisa Manoban, Kim JongIn's bitch."

The next two weeks went as expected, Kai ranting and raving about the difficulty of getting us suitable costumes. At one point he asked if I would be agreeable to going as Fozzie Bear to his Kermit the Frog. He knew the answer before he asked, but at that point, he was grasping at straws.

It wasn't until the Thursday before the party that two boxes appeared via UPS. Kai's brother-in-law worked somewhere in Hollywood and had some sort of wicked connection, so he was able to procure us a couple of legit costumes.

"Boba Fett, called it." JongIn looked like a kid in a candy store when he held up the mask. The other costume was an Imperial Stormtrooper and any other time, there would have been a fistfight to be him, but not tonight.