𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑

" 𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 "

the girls went to the benches that stood beside the court and took a seat, where ayaka immediately buried her head in her hands.

i screwed up.

" hey, sakurai-chan, what's wrong ? ", suzumeda asked in a worried tone and gently put a hand on her back.

" nothing, i guess. i screwed up, didn't i ? they probably think i'm super weird now. ", she spoke her mind and looked at her senior.

kaori smiled at her with bright eyes.

" you're adorable, sakurai-chan ! you didn't screw up. you're just shy and nervous about meeting so many new people. i can totally understand you. yukie and i almost cried when we first came here. ", she told her, still smiling widely.

it took a bit of ayaka's anxiety away. it was impossible that these both powerful and confident girls were so scared when they were in her position.

ayaka eventually calmed down and her new friends showed her how to take notes on the team correctly.

she concentratedly watched the boys play and eagerly took notes.

- everyone is really focused and concentrated, even while training

now it was bokuto's turn to spike the ball. he ran forward and spiked the ball akaashi tossed to him with all his force over the net. he almost looked like he could fly. it was incredible. even if ayaka had no clue how to play volleyball, she understood that this was something special.

" hey, hey, hey ! i'm the best ! did you see this, sakurai-chan ? that's how you really play volleyball. ", he yelled from across the court.

she didn't know how to react, so she just shouted a " great ! " with a shy thumbs up back. bokuto seemed satisfied with her answer and they continued playing.

- boukuto : powerful spikes,
needs cheering to continue with good playing

yukie glanced at ayaka's notes and smiled proudly. she is going to be a great manager.

" what else do you do as a manager ? ", ayaka asked shirofuku after a while of watching.

" we also prepare the water bottles and towels for the team. we should actually start doing that now. the boys need a break soon. ", she said and took the sakurai girl and her best friend with her.

" our saviours ! ", the libero, komi haruki, yelled and sprinted to the three girls to get his drink and a towel.

everyone followed after him to get their supplies, while ayaka struggled to not get unconscious because of how scared she was of the boys height. akaashi stood in front of her and she handed him a towel with shaky hands.

" thanks. "

he really wasn't a man of big words but she didn't mind.

akaashi, on the other hand, used this situation to get a closer look at his new manager. she was a lot shorter than him, probably a head and a half. her long, dark hair framed her soft features. he tried to see her eyes but she looked away as soon as she noticed. before he could look at her once again, she turned away and sat back down on the bench.

" hey, akaashi, did you check her out ?! ", bokuto, who watched the whole scene, whisper-yelled to his friend.

the setter's widened his eyes in shock.

" of course not ! ", he tried to defend himself, unfortunately a little too loud.

everyone turned to him and he blushed in embarrassment.

" of course not. ", he now whisper-yelled back to bokuto.

" i understood you the first time. do you think she's pretty ? ", he asked then.

akaashi didn't know. was she pretty ? she was a girl, obviously, but aren't all girls pretty ? no, that one girl in his class, who annoyed everyone constantly wasn't pretty.

" i don't know. ", he simply said and went back on the court, leaving the captain confused.

" what do you mean ' you don't know ' ? ", he shouted after him.

once again everyone turned to see where the noise came from, even though everyone knew it was bokuto. but unlike akaashi he didn't mind the extra attention.

the boy with the spikey hair jogged to akaashi to ask his question once again.

" i don't know if she's pretty and i don't care too. i focus on volleyball and not on girls. you should do that too. "

the setter surely was a lot more mature than most boys his age. of course, girls where on his mind now and then but he didn't made much of it. he was quiet, only said the things that had to be said. bokuto was the only one he would open up to from time to time.

they were a weird match after all but they completed each other perfectly. when akaashi was too quiet, bokuto would be loud for him. when bokuto was too loud, akaashi would calm him down. bokuto could get on his nerves sometimes, but it was never a big deal. they bonded immediately and even though they're one year apart, they hung out all the time. a real bromance, you could say.

ayaka watched how akaashi set the ball. well, she didn't watch the ball, she watched him. every time he jumped, his messy hair flew up and revealed a little more of his forehead. he radiated an energy, that almost screamed how concentrated he was. the setter knew what he did. the way his slender fingers pushed the ball forward, made her forget how to breath for a moment. she could see a small smirk on his lips, as he saw that his set was perfect.

" sakurai-chan, stop staring. that's impolite. ", shirofuku said strictly.

ayaka's eyes instantly focused on the pen in her hand and her face started to heat up.

" i wasn't staring. i just watched them play. ", she tried to defend herself but failed miserably.

" don't worry, we won't tell anyone you were staring at akaashi-kun. ", suzumeda chuckled.

the sakurai girl whines and turned into a blushing mess.

what did i got myself into ?

— AUTHORS NOTE
this chapter is a mess, i'm sorry.

but anyways,
thank you for reading && stay safe !

faithfully yours,
greta