Five

"That was really good, Sarah! Keep up the good work, you're one of my best students"

my training instructor looked at me with a pleased smile

You go girl

"I'm happy to hear that"

I smiled back.

"Hey Sarah your phone is ringing!"

Who might that be?

Clifford threw me the phone he just fished out of my bag.

"This is Sarah?"

"Sarah oh thank god please tell Jim that it is completely bonkers to take the Kobayashi-Maru test a third time!"

The who to the what now?

"Shut it McCoy! Hey Sarah"

I just laughed at those two dorks.

"Hei Jim"

"So uh jeah I'm gonna take the test a third time"

"No you sure as hell are not!", Bones shouted in the background

Sweet Jesus those two really are a peace of work

"Okay, Jim, first of all what test and second of all what happend the first two times?"

"The Kobayashi-Maru test. Well, I failed the first two times"

Yeah okay that makes sense, considering he's going to take it a third time

"Yeah, just like everyone else!", Leonard yet again shouted in the background

"What is the purpose of the test?"

"I actually haven't figured that out yet... You're supposed to save the crew of a stranded ship and it just all goes south"

Oh dear

"What if you're not supposed to be able to achieve your goal?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Jim, what if the test is a simulation of a no-win scenario?"

Please forgive me Jim, I know this is a no-go topic for you

"We both know there's no such thing, Sarah"

No, of course there isn't... Oh Jim

"James.."

"Sorry Sarah, I gotta go"

He just hung up, without properly saying goodbye.

Great

Of course I knew, that in the world of James Tiberius Kirk, a no-win scenario was not in the vocabulary. But this test sounded like exactly that. I had a bad feeling in my stomach, but all I could do was hope that Bones would talk some sense  into our best friend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"James?"

"Yeah, hey Sarah. I have good and bad news. What would you like to hear first?"

Oh lord this is gonna be fun

"Uhm I don't know... the good news I guess"

"I passed the test."

So there was a way after all...

"Congrats! How did you do it?"

"Well, that's the bad news... I cheated"

.... or not

"You did what now?!"

"Please don't shout at me, Bones already did that... I'm sorry Sarah, I think I really srewed up..."

Oh no

"Jim.."

"I.. have to go. My trial is about to start"

"Tell me how it goes, okay?"

"Yeah, I'll call you"

"It's gonna be okay, Jim"

"I'm not so sure about that"

But I really hope so

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent the rest of the day hovering over my phone, hoping to get a call from my best friend. But my phone stayed silent.

The hell Jim?

That day, and the next. And the day after that.

I couln't help waiting anymore and dialed McCoys number. He didn't answered.

Okay... weird

Neither did Uhura and Chekov.

NOT GOOD

Okay, keep cool. Neither of them replies, so they might just be.. in space? But why would Cadets be in space?

Just when I thought that, my news alarm went off and I ran over to the  TV, to switch it on.

"Three days ago the secondary fleet of Star Fleet, manned by Cadets of the Academy and the few remaining Officers, went to answer a distress signal from Vulcan. Reports point to something of a lightning storm in space. Not four hours later, the Planet of Vulcan imploded. No one has heard from any of the ships since then. Our prayers go out to friends and family."

I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, where the news showed a recording of the distruction of Vulcan.