Chapter 11

Song of the Chapter: Trouble by Cage the Elephant

Hero's POV

       "Take off your heels." Draco demands and I look at him confused but do it anyway.

    After I pull them off he grabs hold of my hand and begins running full speed through the halls of Hogwarts.

       "Draco my legs are not that long!" I shout while laughing.

           "Shut up, I'm practically dragging you!"

    It's late in the night meaning the only light is from the stars through the windows. They create little glowing specks on the walls and floor. Draco's hand is gripping mine incredibly tight like he's afraid I'll let go.

     "Okay, I need a moment." I sigh. Draco comes to a complete stop. Both of us lean against the wall and try to catch our breath.

             "Why were you so mean to me before?" I ask.

      "There's just so much to make fun of..." he says sarcastically.

       I turn towards him. "I'm serious."

      Every time he begins to speak he stops himself. I push my body off of the wall slowly and walk up to him so he's forced to look at me. I pull off my mask and his jaw clenches slightly. He doesn't want to look me in the eye so he just stares at my lips. I reach up to pull his mask off as well but he grabs my wrist aggressively to stop me, almost like he's afraid of me seeing the real him.

              "Draco," I say softly. "It's okay."

         He finally makes eye contact with me as he slowly releases my arm. I reach up again and slowly pull the mask off to reveal his entire face.

           My hand gently rests on his cheek, rubbing my thumb back and forth.

          "I wish you would let me in."

  He lets out a long sigh. His eyes start to turn red as he says to me, "I don't know how."

Draco's POV

Her eyes look at me like they're saying, "I don't know how either."

     For a moment, I picture Hero and I sharing all of our deepest secrets with one another someday. I tell her about my fear of becoming my father, and how scared I get when my mom calls me home. I tell her that the only reason I hate Potter is jealousy, and I dream of being loved that way each night.

    I come back to reality and without thinking, I kiss her. And I don't stop kissing her even though part of me tells me I should. The vanilla scent on her skin fills my nose and makes me feel weak. I wrap my hand around the back of her neck, her hair so soft I can barely feel it tangling in my fingers.

        "Who's down there?" Someone shouts from the end of the hall.

     Hero and I quickly push off of each other and hide inside the nearest room. Professor McGonagall walks towards us but turns back around after realizing we got away. Hero covers her mouth trying to silence her giggles.

     "Where did you want to go earlier?" She whispers. "You know, before."

     I grab her hand once again and start walking towards the doors leading outside. Every once in a while I look back to reveal she's staring right back at me.

    We make our way down to the boathouse and once she realizes what we're doing her eyes light up.

             "Want to go for a swim?" I ask while taking off my jacket.