Chapter 23

Song of the Chapter : Yellow by Coldplay

Draco's POV

      Hero's clothes are still upstairs and I know she has to change. Before we make it out of the dining room Lucius enters.

           "Join me in the library, Draco."

      Hero gives me a worried look. I tell her to stay put and I follow Lucius down the hall. He shuts the door behind him.

      "The Dark Lord feels Hero is no longer suited to be a death eater."

      My eyes widen. I feel the sudden urge to vomit. If he was willing to just let her go I would be thrilled. But when he wants to get rid of someone, he gets rid of them.

       "Did you tell him about earlier?" I raise my voice.

              Lucius glares at me. "It is my job to be loyal."

          The anger in my voice projects. "You fucking piece of shit-"

       "Draco!" His hands pin me against the wall. "I am your father, do not disrespect me."

       Tears fill my eyes. As badly as I want to give in, I refuse. Hero's right, he's just a coward. I'm more of a man than he will ever be.

        "You're not my father. A father's job is to love their son." I cry.

      Lucius tightens his grip on my shoulders. I see his mouth open to speak but I interrupt.

                 "All you do is make me want to end my life."

       I see the fear in his eyes clearly now. It's always been there but it's more visible than ever. He lets go of my arms and takes a step back.

         "And Hero makes me want to live."

      My mother enters the room. She gasps and walks over to me but I move away.

                "You are not going to take that away from me."

      My mother looks to Lucius in pain. They both try to say something but I race out of the room and slam the door behind me. While walking down the hall I can hear their shouts.

           "Let's go." I grab Hero's hand.

        She jumps and turns to me. "I still need to get my clothes-"

              "I don't care." I snap. "I said let's go."

      Hero starts to talk back but hears the screams coming from down the hall and closes her mouth. The two of us exit Malfoy Manor.

Hero's POV

       It's a little past midnight and Draco and I are just now getting back to Hogwarts.

                 "Here, we don't need anyone else seeing your mark."

            Draco takes off his suit jacket and wraps it around my shoulders. We walk through the front doors carefully. Once the coast is completely clear we run past the main hall. I take a turn towards the common room but Draco pulls me in the opposite direction.

          "What are you doing?" I huff.

       He rolls his eyes at me. "The common room is lame."

     He's not wrong. I follow him up the stairs to the astronomy tower. Once we're at the top Draco signals me to follow him to the railing.

                      "Look up." He tells me.

     I stare into the night sky and can't help but smile. Hundreds of stars are shining, more than you can ever see from below. Draco moves behind me and wraps his arms around my waist. The heat from his lips pressing into my cheek sends shivers down my spine.

                "I love you." I say softly.

         His head rests on top of mine. I feel his hands squeeze me tighter.

                  "I know." He says sarcastically.

       I turn around aggressively to face him. He forces a smile out of me.

             "I love you." He whispers.

       My lips meet his and everything else fades. The only thing I can focus on is how soft his skin is against mine and how each of his fingers gently caresses my face. The coldness of the railing on my back mixed with the warmth from his breath creates the perfect mixture. I lean back over the railing and feel the wind swim through my hair.

          "If I let go of you right now you'd fall." Draco says between our lips.

           I giggle and lean back further. "This is how much I trust you."

     The light from the stars glows in his eyes. Not only does Draco want someone that makes him feel safe, he wants someone that feels safe with him.

              And I do.

Draco's POV

                  "This is how much I trust you."

        Hero's hair flies through the air and creates lines in the sky. The whiteness of her teeth and the green in her eyes fills all of the empty places in my chest. When I pull her back up to meet me face to face she gently bites her lip. I take an extra moment to look at her because no matter how many times I still feel the butterflies from the beginning.

          "It's not polite to stare." Hero mumbles playfully.

         I pick her up and she wraps her legs around my torso. Part of me wants to carry Hero downstairs but the thought disappears when she pulls me in for a kiss again. Then I realize the dorms are not close enough and I want every part of her now. I press her back against the wall then grab both of her hands and intertwine them with mine.

            "You're my favorite part of life." She says.

        I want to say something back but I get completely and totally lost in her embrace.

                          She is my life.