Chapter 13

Song of the Chapter : Unsteady by X Ambassadors

Hero's POV

"Draco?"

     He turns my way but looks as if he's expecting someone else. When he realizes it's me the fear in his eyes grows.

     His face is cut up. I can see the bones in his back popping out like he hasn't eaten in days. Without looking around to see where we are or what's happening I race to him.

       "Hero, what the fuck are you doing here?" He screams at me.

     Before I can reply I feel something slice my back. A stinging sensation burns at my skin. I turn around and see two men in black robes pointing their wands at me. When I look down I see blood pooling everywhere.

          "What is going on-"

          "Sectumsempra!"

      I feel another slit in my skin. My vision begins to go blurry but I refuse to close my eyes. I turn back to Draco and run my hand through his hair.

      "You're going to be okay." I say.

       "Hero, you're bleeding so much," He weeps. "Why did you come here?"

     Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone walking up to me. Scared to look up I keep my focus on Draco.

      "Now this is perfect." The person says quietly. "You must be Hero."

     I slowly look up and freeze. I've heard people talk about him; the most powerful dark wizard. No one says his name, but they all fear him. For the longest time, it seemed like a made-up story.

       But now I'm face to face with him.

      "Snape, come out. We have a visitor."

       When I turn around I make eye contact with the Professor. His eyes go big. The look on his face is similar to the one he made the first day in class but this time it's much worse.

     "Miss Green, what are you doing here?" He asks me with a shaky voice.

    I try to speak but my voice is missing.

       "Oh, Snape." The Dark Lord sighs. "That's no way to greet your daughter."

       My eyes won't move away from him. The blood from my body soaks my clothing. I feel my vision getting weaker. I repeat what The Dark Lord just said over and over in my mind but nothing registers. Draco sits up behind me and presses on my back trying to stop the bleeding. He's trying to get my attention but I can't look away.

     Professor Snape looks up and stutters. "Y-You knew. You knew all along."

     The Dark Lord nods then moves closer to Draco and me.

     "Hero, dear. You must be confused." He whispers in my ear.

      Snape's eyes sink when he looks down at me. I can feel the water piling up in my eyes as I see one single tear fall down his cheek.

        "Your mother and father gave you up in hopes of keeping you hidden from me." The Dark Lord continues. "But as we all know by now, nothing gets past me."

     Draco says something under his breath. "That's why you wanted him dead. That's why you wanted me to kill him..."

    All these years I've wondered who I was, where I came from, and why my parents didn't want me. Those questions have circled in my brain for years. And I've imagined what it would be like to meet my real parents thousands of times. None of them looked like this.

     "Draco failed to complete the task I assigned. It's a shame, he's just like his father."

      For a moment, when I look into Snape's eyes, I feel a love I never received from the parents who raised me. It feels real.

              I see warmth. I see my dad.

       "Hero," Snape cries. "I'm sorry-"

         "Avada Kedavra!"

    A flash of green lights up the room and my body tenses up in fear. When I open my eyes in front of me is Snape's lifeless body but his eyes are still on me. My ears are ringing and I can't hear what Draco's trying to say. He grabs hold of my face with both of his hands and is yelling words that my ears can't quite make out.

    The Dark Lord says one last thing before leaving the room. Whatever it was must have been horrible because Draco's eyes start to fill with tears. I want to ask what he said or see if Draco's okay but I just continue to stare at him in complete shock.

Draco's POV

     "Hero, look at me!" I shriek. Her eyes are fixated on Snape's dead body. I grab her face aggressively trying to get her back to reality but she just stares at me lifeless. The color in her skin is gone, she's losing way too much blood.

"Now that I'm down another death eater, I need a replacement." The Dark Lord shares.

       I look up at him and pray he doesn't say what I'm thinking.

"And what better replacement than the daughter herself?"

                 No. Please, no.

      He leaves Hero and I alone in the room and the death eaters follow. I feel water pouring out of my eyes.

             "Hero, please say something!" I cry.

                   Nothing.

          "Hero you're in shock. Just look at me, please."

     Her eyes shift back to his body, then to me again. Her mouth opens like she's trying to say something but instead, a tear falls from her cheek onto the ground. As soon as that first tear breaks she falls into my lap and starts crying. Her sobs have the force of a person vomiting up their insides. I use a spell to try and close her cuts which causes her more pain.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper.

     After they're somewhat healed we continue to lay there in the cold, dark room not saying one word. Hero continues to cry until she can't produce tears anymore and she passes out from exhaustion.