Chapter 18

Song of the Chapter : I'll be Good by Jaymes Young

Draco's POV

    As soon as I hear the words come out of my mouth I regret ever speaking. My stomach drops. When people talk about it being the most powerful thing, they're right. But I wasn't ready to find that out.

    Before Hero can say anything I rush down the stairs and out of the field. I can feel my heart racing out of my chest. Sweat falls from my forehead and down my neck.

    As soon as I get inside the school I run up to the seventh floor. I don't know what I want from the room of requirement other than a place to not be found. When the door appears I rush inside. The room is small but plenty of space for me to stay overnight. I walk over to the couch and take a seat. Trying to slow my heart I take deep breaths. After calming myself down I grab a blanket off the back of the couch and wrap it around myself.

                  What the fuck have you done, Hero?

Hero's POV

      I know Draco doesn't want to be found right now, so I just go up to the dorms and finish homework. Pansy and Daphne aren't around thankfully.

     I knew when he said it for the first time he was going to freak. And I don't blame Draco, I know how hard it is for him. My biggest fear is that he's not going to come back around. Even though it is scary he should know that I'm here holding his hand every step of the way.

     Right now, I'm going to give him some space. If I rush him too soon it'll make it ten times worse.

~~

     In potions today, Draco didn't say one word to me. I try to remember that he's just overwhelmed but it's hard not talking to him. Before class started I waited for Draco to maybe sit next to me, but he took a seat at the back of the class, which means Harry and I were beside each other.

        "Long time no talk!" Harry greets me.

       I smile and say good morning. He gives me a frown. "Is everything alright?"

       "Yeah!" I reply. "I just didn't sleep well last night."

      He gives me a sympathetic look. "Hopefully class isn't too bad then."

~~

    Once class is dismissed I wait until everyone's gone to leave. Eventually the room is empty so I grab my things and start heading to my next class. When I make my way down the hall I notice a big crowd of students standing around something. Curious, I join.

          "It doesn't even work!" Someone shouts. Draco.

     Everyone is staring at a large mirror leaning against the wall. I've never seen it before.

       "I guess there's only one way to find out." I turn and see Theodore walking up to the mirror.

      "What is this all about?" I whisper to Luna Lovegood, who is standing next to me.

       "It's the mirror of erised," She explains to me. "Supposedly, it shows one's most deepest desires."

     Deepest desires? It sounds very intriguing, but why would it be in the middle of the hallway all of the sudden?

     Theodore continues to walk up to the mirror. Once he's in front of it everyone moves closer. After a moment, he starts laughing.

       "What is so funny?" Draco snaps at him.

     Nott keeps looking in the mirror mesmerized.

      "Are you going to tell us what you see?" Blaise shouts from behind.

       "I would, but Hero needs to get out of the way first." Theodore taunts.

     Everyone looks over to me but I look directly at Draco who is seconds away from jumping on him.

        "Woah, Green!" He continues. "Save that for the bedroom..."

     Before anyone can stop him Draco knocks over Theo. They both hit the floor. Draco pins him down with his knees and starts hitting him in the face over and over. The students all gasp and try to get a better view. I make my way through the crowds and to Draco. He is cursing at Theodore continuously while bashing his face. I put my hands on his shoulders trying to pull him away but he pushes me off, knocking me to the floor. As soon as he realizes it's me he stops what he's doing. His glossed over eyes meet mine. Then in an instant he's rushing down the hall.

       Daphne appears and helps me up. "Are you okay? What the hell was that-"

                I cut her off. "I'm alright, but I have to go."

      She nods and I run down the hall to find Draco. I turn left and realize the only place he could've gone is the bathroom. When I get inside I see him leaning over the sink with his head down. The faint sound of his cries fill my ears and make my heart sting. When I get closer Draco looks up and I see his face in the mirror. He tries to hide his tears but they're covering his cheeks. I walk over to him slowly, praying he doesn't try to run off. Instead he turns on the sink and starts washing off his knuckles.

     I gently put my hand on Draco's back and he flinches. I take a few steps back. Theodore's blood is all over his white shirt.

      "Draco?" I say softly.

     He doesn't answer. He keeps scrubbing at his fingers over the sink. I wait a bit longer but he pretends I'm not there.

     "Draco," I say again. "Look at me." My hand reaches for his shoulder but he pushes it off. He turns off the water and turns towards the door.

                       "I love you too."

      He stops. I wait for him to walk back but he just stands in the middle of the room silent. With caution, I move over to him. I put myself in front of him and when I look up he's already staring down at me.

                 "Please."

       Draco holds his breath, trying to keep himself together. I place my hand on the side of his cheek and move my thumb back and forth.

            "It's okay." I whisper.

      He moves his hand up to meet mine and grabs it tightly. His eyes close and the tears fall onto the floor. I pull Draco close to me and finally lets go. I run my fingers through his hair and let him sob into my shoulder.

      "How could you-" Draco tries to speak. "How could you love me?"

      I lift his head up with my hands and wipe his eyes.

        "What's not to love?" I smile.

       "I'm such a bad person, Hero." He cries.

       "I don't think you're a bad person." I say softly. "I just think you've never been given a choice."

      Draco looks up into my eyes. My words bring him a sense of relief. He knows he's never had a choice, he's just been waiting his entire life for someone else to realize.

       "I have a choice with you." He whispers.

       I nod. Maybe that's why it scares him so much. He's never made a decision for himself.

       "And I think I know what I want to do."

      I wait for him to tell me what he wants but instead he presses his lips to mine.

                  "Thank you for seeing the good."