0.0

Some thousand years ago

    "Mother, what is auntie doing?" Ostara questioned Esther perplexed. It was late at night, their father Mikael was out on a hunt that was set to take a few nights. Ostara woke up to her mother sneaking her older twin sister, Freya, out of their room. Ostara was going to go back to sleep and brush it off but then she heard arguing. Ostara curiously got out of bed, running into her little brother Finn, who had also awoken from the shouting. The two children followed the sound of voices to find their distant aunt trying to coax Freya to leave with her.

    Esther ignored Ostara and her question as if she was never even there. Finn was holding onto his older sister tightly around the waist, both frightened and tired. Delilah rolled her eyes at her younger niece and made a grab towards Freya, running out of patience. Freya screeched and tried to hide behind her mother but Esther pushes her forward. Ostara tried to move to go help her sister as Freya was lifted into Delilah's arms. Alas, Delilah had suspected this and silently cast a spell to hold the girl in her spot until she was long gone. Ostara sob silently, trying not to upset Finn who was already distraught. Freya continued screaming for her mother and her father. No one helped her.

Delilah left hurriedly with the screeching children held tightly in her arms. Ostara and Finn continued to grip onto each other like they were holding onto their lifeline. Esther was silent despite her children's sobs. A few silent tears trickled down her cheeks. She wiped them hurriedly before turning to her traumatized children.

"When your father comes back, you tell him Freya died from the sickness. You do not mention this to anyone," Esther said hurriedly. She then passed them both to head to bed. Esther wanted to sleep and forget this had ever happened.

Ostara still couldn't move. So, she sat there shaking, Finn clinging onto her still. He refused to move until Ostara did. When the spell finally wore off Ostara grabbed Finn's hand into hers and ran outside. Delilah and Freya were long gone. All that was left was the dark sky and the snow. Ostara took Finn back into the house and pulled him to her room. Freya's bed was empty and it brought a new wave of tears to Ostara. She moved Finn to her and wrapped her arms around him. The two children clung to each other, crying in silence apart from occasional sniffles and a large intake of breath. They stayed like that for hours. Esther did not bother to wake them up. She knew they needed time. Esther just hoped they were fine by the time Mikael returned.

Many years later

"Ma, why must father hate me so?" Niklaus questioned his oldest sibling. Mikael had been particularly rough in his beatings that day, as Ostara was in the forest with Finn and Kol to practice their magic. Whenever Ostara was around Mikael trod carefully. She would stand in front and Niklaus and not back down. A true warrior at heart. Mikael found himself wishing Niklaus had taken after her more. Mikael would not allow any of the other children to show such defence, but Mikael still saw little Freya when he looked at Ostara.