A Deal With The Devil

" I thought your shift was over? "
Sandra asks Ophelia who is clearing stains from the table.

" Yup! Doing overtime! "
She replies.

Sandra takes a chair and sits there. She went to meet her parents' grave today, alone. Then she did some work of her. NGO'S.It's already evening now.

She has been avoiding coming home. She doesn't want to face Sammy yet. She feels she will blurt the truth out or her clever aunt might see through her acting.

She rests her chin on the table and looks again at Ophelia. She is also taking a rest for the time being.

Sandra feels some strange feelings. How the mere pronunciation of the name "Ophelia " always makes her afraid! But now a girl having the same name is sitting beside her.

" Won't you go home? You have worked for so long."
Sandra asks her.

" Yeah! I will have to! "
She says as if it were a burden.
" But I like it here. It's free of disturbance! "
Ophelia says this and inhales fresh air.

" How can a crowded bakery be free from disturbance? "
Sandra rolls her eyes.

" You won't understand it! "
Ophelia sounds sad.

Sandra feels sorry immediately. She shouldn't have judged someone like this.
" I am sorry! I didn't mean to make you sad!"
She says softly.

" It's okay. Besides, you aren't at fault. You aren't behind this madness! "
Ophelia says quietly.

Sandra feels curious. She wants to know why this girl sounded sad. But she doesn't want to invade someone's privacy.

" I meant about mental disturbance! "
Ophelia starts talking on her own.

" Wanna talk?"
Sandra asks sympathetically.

" Umm...."
Ophelia hesitates a little. She is deciding whether she should share anything with Sandra or not. But she likes Sandra. It's only been a few days since she met her. But she already likes Sandra. She feels close to her.

" I am getting strange calls! "
Ophelia sighs.
"It says that my father is a murderer! "

" What!"
Sandra's hand flies to her mouth.

" Yeah! I even got papers stuck with stone! "
She makes an invisible banner.
" Your father is a murderer! Pay for it! "
She says sadly.

" Didn't you go to the police? Where are your parents? "
Sandra feels sad for the girl.

" My father is dead. My mother has remarried. I live in a girls ' hostel. I meet my parents from there sometimes. "
She says.
" I did go to the police. But I didn't have concrete proof. But I said to my Mum. She is my best friend! "
She says casually.

" What did she say? "
Sandra asks earnestly.

" Strange that she said nothing! She just advised me to change my sim card! "
Ophelia says.
" It's not like I am alone. My stepfather is very good. I also have a stepbrother, Ryan. I love him! "
She looks happy.

" But I am afraid to go to the hostel. It reminds me of my fear. That's why I like it here! I am not afraid here at all! "
Ophelia sighs sadly.

Sandra understands her, at least a little. Because she can see her fear reflecting in Ophelia's eyes.

Sometimes, some unwanted things bind people together. They don't like them but still get surrounded by those unwanted and hateful things.

Just like Ophelia and Sandra. They are not bounded by blood relations or friendship. They are bounded by fear.