Chapter 24: The Hiking Trip

Russia

I parked by the hiking trail's entrance. Viktor jumped out of the car and tried running off but America stopped him. 

Toby got out but then clung to me. "Toby, it's going to be ok."

"What if I fall?" I knelt down and held his shoulders.

"We won't let you fall, ok." 

"I don't want to do this." Toby teared up a bit.

"Your siblings and mom are all excited to do this and it wouldn't be the same without you. Do you think you can be brave to make your mom happy?" Toby nodded and put on his best smile. I grinned and ruffled his hair. "That's my boy."

"Are you guys coming?" I looked up to America, who was waiting for us with Khristina and Viktor. I got up and took Toby's hand.

"Yep, let's go Toby." We walked together towards the trail entrance.

Viktor hopped excitedly as we entered the start of the hiking trail. Toby ran and clung to Khristina while Khristina stood close to me.

We started ascending the trail, going higher and higher. I looked over the edge of the railing to see how far up we were. About 48 feet.

"I bet I can get to the top before you!" I heard Viktor declared, I turned to see Viktor challenging Khristina. Great.

"Kids, not right now." America said, sounding slightly annoyed.

"You can't beat anyone with those short legs!" Khristina snapped back. America shook his head and I was a bit annoyed too.

"C'mon you too, calm down-"

Viktor pushed Khristina, causing her to stumble back into Toby. Toby lost his footing and fell over the railing.

I instantly panicked and jumped over the railing after him. I slid down the slope of the cliff and rushed to look around. 

"Toby!? Where are you!?" I glanced down at the ground and saw the disrupted soil. I followed it until I saw Toby's familiar shoes. "Toby!"

I ran up to him and looked around to make sure he was ok, that’s when I noticed blood. My heart dropped and my breathing stopped for a split second.

I picked up Toby to examine him. I saw lots of scrapes and bruises on his body but as soon as I looked at his face...I knew where the blood came from.

Toby's mouth was covered in deep cuts and there was a large bruise on his neck. I ran as fast as I could out of the forest and back to the parking lot.

When I finally got to the parking lot, I saw America talking to the ambulance and police officers. Once the paramedics noticed me, they immediately ran to take Toby from me.

They put him in the ambulances and drove off to the hospital. The officers came up to me. "Sir, do you mind telling us what happened?"

"My two children were fighting when one of them pushed the other. Toby was just standing in the wrong spot and accidentally fell…" The officers nodded and walked off.

America ran up to me with a worried expression. "Is Toby ok?! I didn't see you bring him back!"

"The paramedics took him…" Meri began to cry and I just hugged him, trying to make him feel better.

"Papa…?" I turned my head to look at Viktor. "Am I in trouble?"

"Yes, yes you are. We told you to stop fighting and you didn't listen." I scolded, I wasn't over the shock of seeing Toby like that but I was so mad at them for even fighting in the first place.

"We're sorry Papa." Khristina said while she looked down.

"No, I don't want to hear it. Sorry won't fix what happened." I grumbled. Viktor started crying and so did Khristina.

America moved away from the hug and knelt down to them. "Why are you crying? There's no point in that. All we can do is hope that Toby is ok."

"We're going to drop you off at your grandma's place while we visit the hospital." I stated while walking to the car. America followed with the kids close behind him.

~~~~(Timeskip)~~~~

We arrived at the hospital after a few minutes. The doctors told us to wait outside while they took care of Toby.

After hours of waiting, we were allowed into his room. I held the door open for Ame and followed him inside.

Toby was laying on the hospital bed with bandages around his neck and mouth, he also had an I.V in his arm.

I turned to the doctor while America sat beside Toby's hospital bed. "So is there any permanent damage?" I asked in a worried tone.

The doctor stayed silent but then responded. "Yes, unfortunately…"

"W-where?" The doctor pulled out some papers and began to explain something very complex. "So..what does that mean?"

"Well...because his voice box was damaged...I'm afraid he'll never be able to talk again…"

"What?!" America jumped up, tears threatening to fall out of the corners of his eyes. "Can't you do something?!"

"I'm afraid we can't. I'll give you a moment alone." The doctor left without another word. America leaned into me and started crying into my shoulder.

I pat his back and held him closer, tears beginning to build up in my own eyes.

~~~~~~~~

Hey everybody!

So I hope you guys can forgive me for this but it was planned from the beginning.

That's why I made the kids know sigh language so that Toby could communicate with them.

Well, hope you enjoyed the short chapter, bye.

~Gaylimeboi