Chapter 3 | Mirella Vladimirovna

THIRD PERSON POV

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mirella. I hope you're strong enough to carry on with your life. Your father was a good man." Mirella Vladimirovna keeps a nonchalant expression as guests went to greet her.

To Mirella, her father was far from being the kind, and compassionate everyone thought he was

To Mirella, her father was far from being the kind, and compassionate everyone thought he was. For the lady, her father was a monster, hiding behind a thick human mask.

"At least show to the guests that you're sad for his death. You didn't even cry after you were informed about his accident. I guess the phrase 'like father, like daughter' really suits you." Mirella faces her cousin whom she grew up with.

"We were both tortures physically and mentally because of him. Why do I have to show my emotion when it comes to his death? He was the one who responsible for making me feel this way. Anyway, why can't we just let him freeze in Siberia for all I care? I don't have time to be here." Mirella was about to leave when her cousin pushed her back to her seat.

"I'm surprised you didn't suggest that we should just place your father's body in a cannon and shoot it off."

"If the elders let me, I don't even mind that." Mirella's cousin sigh.

"Oh my, what will happen to The Academy now that the founder is dead? Will, his daughter, be able to handle it, or should we just let the founder's nephew take over his uncle's position?" Mirella pretends that she didn't hear any of the sayings about her 'incompetence'.

"Mirella, are you going to let them look down on you?" Mirella faces his cousin, Andrei.

"Why should I? They're speaking the truth after all. I am incompetent when it comes to handling big organisation such as The Academy. But, when I think back the moment my father was alive, and well, none of these foul mouth vultures even do anything to contribute to the organisation. Now that my father is dead, all you do is barking about the next head of The Academy." Mirella stood up from her seat.

"Why is it that it seems none of you fond of the ideas of me taking my father's position? I can see that all of your wish to see Andrei as the new head. Andrei, have you been doing something behind my back all this time?" When Mirella faces her cousin, he was avoiding eye contact.

"I see. Now that I know the truth, it all made sense now. From the way my father treated you and the number of times you two spent together, it all made sense. Why was I so stupid to realise that my father abandoned me for my cousin? Andrei, you've done your part well. I am proud of being your cousin." Andrei wanted to say something, but he knows that nothing will change.

He loves his cousin, but the temptation to be the head of The Academy was too much for him to decline.

"So why should I stay here? That man has never thought of me as his daughter all this time. It was all Andrei- Andrei- Andrei," Mirella chuckled as she remembered her time slaving away to gain her father's attention.