~10~ Complex

Dad and I go out for lunch, and when we get back I work on homework some more. Suddenly Julie, dad's secretary, walks in.

"Hey Sergeant, I've got them enrolled in the classes like you asked," Julie says, batting her eyes as she hands dad the paperwork.

"Thanks Julie," dad says with a polite smile. Dad's not attracted to her. Is it disturbing that I know my dad's type?

"If you need anything else, let me know," she says, smiling a little too big

"Great, thanks."

She clears her throat and tries again. "I was planning on making pasta for dinner, but I always make way too much. Any interest in joining me?"

Without missing a beat, dad answers. "Thanks, but I've got Liam tonight. We've got plans already. Thanks for the paperwork."

She schools her face so she doesn't look disappointed. "No worries."

"I'm so sick of this," I mutter once she leaves.

"What?"

"Between you and mom, it's a wonder I don't have a complex."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he says, putting down his paperwork and leaning back in his own chair.

"I swear we can't go anywhere without someone flirting with the both of you. You guys are like magnets...It's annoying."

He chuckles. "Your mom sure is beautiful, isn't she? However, she went through her braces phase at 12... That knocked her down a peg for about a year."

"You still think she's beautiful?" I ask, surprised.

"Of course I do." He gives me a look, like he's surprised I would think any different.

"Then why didn't you stay with her?"

Dad sighs as he rolls his chair closer to me.

"I love your mom with my whole heart, but I'm not in love with her. I don't think I've ever been—She wasn't either. We were only supposed to be best friends. Thank goodness we tried to have a relationship, because otherwise you wouldn't be here...It wasn't fair to either of us to force something that wasn't there. She IS beautiful, but I'm not attracted to her. Does that make sense?" He asks, staring into my eyes.

"Not really."

He laughs and shakes his head. "I don't know how to explain it."

"Well, I think she actually has feelings for someone,"I blurt out.

"The Lieutenant?" Dad asks immediately.

I silently nod.

"Yeah, I think she does too. I hope she gives him a chance."

"I hope so too. He's actually pretty cool," I say surprised by how much I mean that.

~*~

The rest of the day goes by quickly, and before I know it, we're heading home. Once we're home I sit on the couch, staring at the wall. I'm not sure what to do. Normally dad doesn't enforce any punishment mom has set, but after today, I'm not sure what dad's gonna do.

"What are you doing?" Dad asks chuckling.

I just look at him and raise my eyebrows.

"I'm grounded."

Dad just scoffs and rolls his eyes. "The Cubs game is on. Let's watch it. I'll order a pizza."

Normally I'm super excited when dad dismisses my punishments, but today feels wrong for some reason. I was really stupid and I deserved to be punished. So much so, that mom was keeping me from dad. It kinda feels like we're being disrespectful to her.