~43~ Bad One

After mom wasn't mad anymore, she told me my punishment—She grounded me for an ENTIRE MONTH. Taylor disagreed with her; He thought it was way too harsh.

He didn't say that in front of me, of course—I'm just really good at snooping. I heard them talking in their room after mom told me how long I was in for.

"Are you sure, Ellie? An entire month? That seems like a lot," he says in a hushed tone.

"Yeah, Taylor. She took a bite out of a dead frog, covered in Formaldehyde—He's getting a month. You don't think it's a big deal? How about I scrounge you up some roadkill and see if it meets your satisfaction."

Taylor chuckles slightly. "You're the mom; It's your call...I'm just saying that it isn't as big of a deal as you're making it. A couple of weeks, sure! A month is a lot—I won't say anything else though."

"Actually, no...I do have somethin' else to say....That lady probably deserved it. She looks scary and she spits when she talks."

"You're just as bad as he is. Maybe I should ground you too," mom says, sounding exasperated.

"Oh yeah?" He asks in an excited tone.

I decide to quit eavesdropping then. I don't need to know what happens next. I go into my room and turn up music.

~*~

It's been almost a week, and mom and dad still aren't talking to each other. They drop me off and pick me up without even going into the other ones apartment. Since I'm grounded, mom said there was no reason to use my car, so I essentially lost my car too— I get to be shuffled around like a loser once again.

Taylor and I are trying to get them into the same room together, but they're both being stubborn at this point.

I go to shift with mom and Taylor on Friday, since I'm still suspended and dad has a heavy case load right now. I pretend like it's a punishment, but I actually really love going to the station—The guys are SO much fun.

"Whoop!! Liam's in the HOUSE!!!" Diego yells as he tackles me to the ground.

"Jeesh, mom's gonna be mad if you break my rib, dude," I say, pushing him off of me and standing back up.

"Is it true you're here the whole shift?" He asks, excitedly.

"Yup! It pays to get suspended!"

"Shhh! Don't let your mom hear ya say that," he grins as he puts a finger to his lips and wraps his other arm around my shoulder.

"Diego, I need you to organize the equipment. You guys need to start putting it back better—Squad is a mess," Taylor says in 'Lieutenant Mode'.

"Yes sir," Diego says as he immediately leaves my side and does what he's told.

It's so weird seeing people listen to Taylor like that. I only ever see him as goofy, crazy Taylor. I don't usually see him as Mr. Serious-Pants Lieutenant.

It's been a couple of hours, and Diego and I are playing some basketball.

DING
*Engine 20, Truck 80, Squad 10, Ambulance 20, victim trapped, unstable structure, 18th and Broadway

"Whoops, see ya kid," Diego says, giving me a high five.

"Be good bud," mom says as she kisses my cheek quickly

"Be careful," I say after her.

"Always," she smiles as she rushes to the ambulance.

"Bye Liam," Taylor says, clapping my back as he runs to squad.