~78~ Barrell~2

I slam the door, and I'm seeing red. I'm so angry that I couldn't care less about what I just did.

Before I realize where I'm going, I'm aimlessly walking. I didn't have my shoes on while I was playing video games, so I'm barefooted. I also had my keys in my room, so I can't drive anywhere either. Thankfully, the stars aligned, and I have my phone, and $50 in my pocket.

Dad has engrained in my head that I ALWAYS keep $50 on me at all times. He insists that you never know when you're going to have an emergency and need it. He even gave me the $50.

My dad is a brilliant man.

I call Aria. I'm already dead, so there's no point in going back home. I'm going to enjoy my day since I'm already going to be grounded.

She picks me up at the corner market, and then she stops at a store so I can get myself some shoes.

We spend the rest of the day hanging out at the skate park and then going to dinner. I had a great time, but I start to feel really guilty—I didn't mean it. I don't know how dad controls his anger all of the time. I just start seeing red and I can't think straight. I'm going to have to talk to him about it one of these days.

Mom called probably 20 times, but I turned my phone on silent so I didn't have to keep hearing it. She called Aria too, to my complete annoyance. Thankfully, Aria has no problem lying to parents.

I finally come home around 10:30 pm, fully expecting mom to be in bed. She has to force herself to stay awake until 9 most nights anymore. I also fully expect Taylor to be up still, but since he and mom aren't together, I highly doubt he would do anything until mom is there.

As soon as I come in, however, I see mom sitting next to Taylor on the couch.

Fantastic.

"Have a seat," she says coolly. I can actually hear relief in her voice.

I sigh loudly and roll my eyes as I sit in the chair next to the couch.

"Where ya been?" She asks, starting the interrogation.

"Out"

"Out where?"

"Just out, mom. Man. You don't need to know everything." I snap. Probably not my smartest move, but I'm already in trouble. What more can she do?

She stops for a minute, and then puts her hand on her forehead for a second, looking like she's willing a headache to leave.

"Liam, I'm sorry that I decided to move without checking with you. This is the second time I've done that to you. I didn't realize it until this afternoon. Please forgive me." She says, with tears in her voice.

That throws me for a second. I was expecting her wrath, not her apology.

"I never checked with you. I had already moved out when I told you that Taylor and I had broken up—That was probably really hard. Then I didn't even ask you if you were ok moving back in with him. I guess I just assumed that you would want to."

I sigh and start to relax. I appreciate the apology. "I did want to."

Mom looks surprised as she glances at Taylor. He just shrugs, as confused as mom.

"I'm confused—I thought that's why you're mad."

"It's not."

"I'm going to need more than that, bud. I don't know what's wrong."

"The only reason that he even wants us here is because of the baby. He didn't care when we moved out. It's obvious that this baby takes priority in this family," I finally admit. That's been a tough pill to swallow lately. He's never going to love me as much as his own kid. How could he?