~91~ Welcome Home

Even though it was supposed to be dad's night, Taylor asked if I could stay over tonight. He wanted us all under one roof on the night that they got engaged. Plus, he wants to take us out for breakfast in the morning and then surprise mom with her house after that.

We get home and mom is still glowing. The high of getting engaged hasn't worn off.

She takes Sasha out of her car seat and changes her and puts her in bed. I go to bed too. I'm tired, and I want to give them some privacy.

The next morning, Taylor wakes me up at 8. "Come on lazy bones, I'm getting anxious. Get up!" He says, smacking my thigh lightly and shaking me awake.

I throw my pillow at him, trying to get him to leave me alone. "Go away," I mumble as I throw the blankets back over me.

He promptly rips the blankets off, tossing them on the ground. Thankfully I'm wearing underwear.

"What's your problem?"

"I want you to get up. I want to show your mom the surprise," he whispers.

I whisper back loudly, even more annoyed. "You waited for over a month. You can't wait another two hours?" I ask, reaching for the covers again.

"By the time we get out of here and grab breakfast, it will be. Get up now or I'm going to toss you out of bed myself," he says. He's still in a good mood, but he isn't kidding, either.

And I'm only sometimes an idiot

"You're a pain, Preston" I say, finally opening my eyes to glare at him.

"I know. Now get up," he chuckles.

I get up, and go out to the kitchen in my underwear, still half asleep. Mom is up feeding Sasha.

"Why are you awake so early?" She asks, surprised to see me.

"Ask the Lieutenant. Apparently the man is dying for his breakfast," I say with attitude.

Taylor chuckles again and rolls his eyes. "Go get your shower and let's go. I'm starving."

~*~

We sit down at the restaurant and eat our food. I have to admit, the food here is delicious. Mom and I both have biscuits and gravy with bacon.

Our absolute favorite.

Taylor has eggs over-easy and a huge stack of pancakes.

Poor Sasha got nothing.

"Can't I just give her a bite of pancake?" I ask mom. How miserable to be a baby and not get to eat the good stuff.

"No you may not," mom says with a smile.

"Mean," I say, rolling my eyes. "Poor kid. You just wait. When she's not looking I'll hook ya up."

We get back in the car and mom looks confused.

"Babe, you turned right. You should have turn left."

"Why?" Taylor asks, pretending to be confused.

"To go home—You're headed out of town."

"Huh....yeah, I guess I am," he says, trying to hide his smile.

We get to the area by the river that has the Victorian houses and mom immediately perks up.

"Oh cool! Are we going to go for a walk past these houses? I knew you loved me!"

Taylor chuckles. "I do love you, Ellie Jane. Let's go walk past the houses," he says, parking at the beginning of the road and getting out the stroller.