~14~ Project

The next day I get to school and try to find Aria. She must be avoiding me, because I can't find her anywhere. I finally go to my first hour and she's already there, ignoring me. "Can we talk after class, please?" I ask, trying to whisper.

She looks up and glares at me. "Is she coming to your house today?"

I sigh and look at her. "To work on our project, yes. My mom said she could."

"So you're allowed to have people at your house, just not your girlfriend. Nice to know the rules after I'm already playing the game," she says as she slams her pen down on the desk.

I just roll my eyes, saying nothing. I'm not breaking up with her in front of everybody.

"I'll be at your place after school," she says simply.

"No, you won't."

"I'm your girlfriend, Liam. I refuse to have you alone with another girl, without me."

"You're not my girlfriend anymore, Aria," I say as quietly as I can. I really didn't want to break up with her in front of everyone, but she's making me so mad.

"Excuse me?" She asks, turning all the way around in her desk to glare at me.

"I'm breaking up with you. I'm sorry, I didn't want to do it here; I wanted to wait until after class."

"Then why didn't you?" She asks, tears filling her eyes.

"I should have. I'm sorry," I say, looking at the ground. I feel like I could start crying too.

She gets up and walks out, and doesn't come back the rest of class. I feel completely horrible—Maybe I made a mistake.

The rest of the day people just stare at me. All of my friends tell me how much they hated her, and now I have girls all over me. Once they heard I was single, they started to swarm. I'm just ready to go home.

It's finally last period, and I see Brooklyn at her desk. When she sees me she gives me a shy smile.

"My mom said you could come by if you still want to," I say, giving her my crooked smile. I only flash my crooked smile when I'm flirting, or I want something. It ALWAYS works.

"Sure," she says as she turns back to her notebook.

Hmmm. It didn't work as much as it usually does. Maybe it's broken.

After class is over I stop by her desk and give her my address. "Come by whenever," I say as I head for the door.

Once I'm home, I'm nervous. I'm not sure what time she's getting here, exactly, but I'm nervous. I start picking up our already tidy house, and check my hair in the mirror. A little later, I hear a quiet knock at the door.

Once I open it, immediately my stomach has butterflies in it. Man this girl is cute. She's changed into jeans and a T-shirt.

I like that—I like that she isn't dressing to impress me. Her hair is pulled back into a loose ponytail, with a couple strands of hair falling out. I'm crushing hard on her.

"Come in," I say, moving out of her way. She smiles shyly at me again, grabbing her books a little tighter as she comes in.

"Want anything to eat or drink?" I ask as I motion for her to have a seat at the table.

"No thanks," she says quietly as she sits down, opening her History book.

Mom comes in then, obvious that she just came from the gym.

"Hey Liam! How was your day, bud?" She asks as she gives me a hug.

"Fine," I smile.

"Mom, this is Brooklyn"