~73~ Paranoid~2

Mom came in and grounded me once Taylor left, and I got a huge lecture. By the time she got done, I had decided that I just wanted to go to bed. It's still early, but I've had enough for one day.

The next morning, mom is sitting at the table and reading a book. She normally cleans on her days off.

Her hand must be bothering her.

"Morning, bud," she says with a gentle smile.

"Morning," I say, going to the fridge for some juice.

I sit down next to her and sigh. "What am I in for today?" I ask, knowing full well I'm going to have to clean.

Mom smiles gently again. "You're in your room deep cleaning it all morning."

"I hear you, and that's fine, but momma...If my room gets any cleaner people are gonna start thinking I'm a girl."

Mom chuckles. "Well buddy, this is a tiny apartment and there's only so many things for you to clean right now. I know you have clothes that don't fit anymore. Go through all that, and then go through your closet and reorganize it. I still have to find punishments for ya."

"Ok," I say simply. I feel awful that she has to pay Jake back because of me. She's never going to get a couch or her bed.

After a few minutes I go take a shower and then I start to reorganize my already perfect closet.

A few hours later, I'm still in my room just trying to keep myself busy. I even washed the light fixture on the ceiling. My room is so spotless, the Queen herself could come for a visit.

Suddenly I hear talking in the living room.

As soon as I come out of my room to see who's here, I smile. Taylor is here, and he has bought mom a couch and a coffee table.

And THEN I see the best part. A beautiful 52-inch TV staring at me, waiting to be opened.

"Ahhh, yeah!!!" I say, jumping up and pumping my fist. I may or may not have squealed like a girl, too.

Taylor chuckles. "Don't misunderstand, mister... this is for me, not for you."

When I just stare at him in confusion, he continues.

"I bought this for myself. When the baby gets here, I'm not gonna want to watch tv on that tiny thing. So lift your jaw up off the floor and help me get this unboxed," he smirks, pushing me gently.

We get it unboxed, and then Taylor gets the mount put on the wall. Once it's up I just stare and pretend to wipe a tear away. "I could just cry. This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

Taylor laughs loudly and throws some styrofoam at me. "You're such'a dork."

"Hey momma, it would be an insult to this television not to turn it on right now—It's family."

"Jeesh, kid. You can have it on for half an hour, just to make sure it works. Then that's it, hear me?" She sighs as she crosses her arms and pretends to act annoyed.

At least, I think she's pretending?

"The tv thanks you," I say, bowing a little at her. Taylor laughs again, and shakes his head.

I wish he could stay

Mom just rolls her eyes and laughs quietly. Man I haven't heard her laugh in a long time.

She goes over to the window and looks out it for a minute.

"Um Taylor?" She says, sounding strange.