~25~ Paper

The next day after school, dad picks me up.

"Hey champ! I've missed ya," he says, smiling at me as he pulls out of the parking lot.

"Missed you too."

"Do anything fun at mom's these last few days?"

"I went on a date with Brooklyn last night."

"The girl that you had your History project with?" He asks, sounding like he approves.

"Yeah"

"Sweet. She seems nice—And cute," he says, pushing my knee gently.

"She is." My stupid face is red all over again.

"What're we doing tonight?" I ask, trying to change the subject before dad can continue.

"Umm, well I thought we could just hang out. Kara is gonna come over."

Great. Maybe I can go with mom and Taylor after their shift's over tomorrowMaybe I could hang out at the fire station now!

"If we're just gonna stay home, could I go to the station for a while? Diego owes me a basketball rematch."

Dad seems taken aback, and a little irritated. "So because I don't have anything fun planned, you don't wanna hang out with me? You'd rather hang out at the station?"

"It's not that I don't wanna hang out with you, I just thought I'd be in the way," I say dully. I knew he'd never buy that.

"Since when have you ever been in the way?"

He's totally annoyed. This is just fantastic.

I don't say anything—I just look out my window, wondering what I did to deserve such rotten luck...Maybe putting a tampon in some loser's locker because he always acts like such a girl was a touch too much....Maybe this is my Karma.

"Do you not like her?" Dad asks, a trace of fear in his voice. He really, really likes this girl.

"She's fine"

"You're not going to the station. I haven't seen you in 4 days."

I'm not appreciating this new dad. The old dad would've just taken me to the station, even though his feelings were hurt.

We get home, and Kara is already there. She has a key nowthat's fantastic.

Her face lights up when she sees dad. "Hey baby!"

"Hey!" He says, grabbing her and kissing her hard.

"Liam! Not doing anything after school, huh? Most kids your age hang out with friends or something."

Her voice sounds innocent, but her face gives her away.

Football is over for the season, and I suck at basketball—I didn't even try out. Most of my friends are on the team, leaving me with very little to do after school lately. It was nice of her to rub that in my face, though.

"Nice that you're concerned about my popularity, Kara. I'm doing just fine in that department, so don't worry," I say, with a huge attitude.

Dad picks up on the attitude right away, and gives me a hard look. "Watch it," he says darkly.

That's another thing that's been making me mad. Dad hasn't done a ton after mom's rampage two months back, but he's tried a little. Kara's in the picture for just a month, and he's been snapping at me and scolding me over the littlest things. I haven't told mom any of this, because she'd actually be encouraging that part. It's really getting old, though.

"We're gonna be seeing a lot of each other, Liam. We're gonna get to know each other real well!" She says, with an evil smile on her face.

"How do ya figure that?" I ask, not losing my tone. I look over at dad, and his eyes are getting angry.

Kara looks at dad and smiles huge. "I got the job!" She says, jumping up and down.

"You did?!? Congrats, baby," Dad says, giving her a big hug and kiss.

I don't even ask her where it's at, even though I can tell that's exactly what she wants me to do.

"Mrs. Aberle decided she isn't coming back after maternity leave, so I'm your new English teacher."

Welp, I'm screwed!

"Isn't there a rule that people who know each other can't be in the same class?" I ask, trying desperately to get out of this.

"Nope—You're stuck with me. Maybe now we can get your English grade up."

I'm pretty sure this woman is a sadist. She's really enjoying pouring more salt on my gaping wounds

"How do you know I'm having issues in English?"

"I told her. I was hoping she could tutor you to get you caught back up. You've missed a lot of school," champ," dad says.

Fantastic.

"Grab your book—We'll start now," she grins.

"No thanks," I say, as I start to go to my room.

"Liam Alexander," dad says in a tone I never hear.

I turn around and stare at him. He can't be serious. He says nothing as he points to the table.

"I didn't even bring home my English book."

"There's homework today in English, Liam. Why didn't you bring home your book?" Kara asks, crossing her arms.

"How could you possibly know that?" I ask. This is gettin' old, real quick.

"Because I've already been given the lesson plans—I'm starting on Monday. I know that you have a three page paper due tomorrow. Is it done?"

"You're not my teacher yet, didn't ya hear? You don't start until Monday. Mind your own damn business."

I think about flipping her off, but decide against it when I see dad's face.

"That's it," dad says as he grabs my arm and pulls me into my bedroom. As I glance over I see Kara, chuckling slightly with an evil smile on her face. That was her plan all along, and I fell right into her trap. She wanted me stuck in my room all night so she had the whole night to herself with dad. This sucks. That was such a rookie mistake—I'm a damn chump.

Dad pulls me in the room and shuts the door. He silently stares at me for a moment, trying to calm himself down.

"Do you have a paper due tomorrow?"

"Yes sir," I say, looking down.

"Have you even started on it?"

"No," I say, feeling tears behind my eyes. Since when has dad cared about homework?

Dad sighs and closes his eyes. "Looks like you're in here until the paper is written—Get going."

Once he leaves, I hear dad and Kara our there laughing and talking, having a wonderful time while I'm stuck in here.

It's obvious where his priorities are.