10

They hugged for a while, in silence. It was something that both of them had wanted to savor for a long time. There, on the gross, messy dirt. Love doesn't discriminate of course.

Emma's face was buried into Norman's shoulder, so deep that he worried she wasn't able to breath. His head was above hers, and he looked down at her orange locks as they fell and waved in the wind. He squeezed her tightly to him, he truly did not want to let go, not ever. Every hug before was a casual one, one that was anticipated but didn't carry too much emotion in.

This one felt very different, and that was because it was. Of course every hug before held emotion, but this held such different emotions. It was felt by Norman, but the one causing the change was Emma and her demeanor.

It was as if something clicked inside her mind. Seeing Norman fall and get hurt the way he did, it invoked something inside of Emma. She didn't even think twice about it before rushing to his aid, a jump that she'd usually brace for, she did in a split second, because it meant getting to his side sooner. She was a caring person who would help anyone if they were to get hurt, but this felt very different to her, but she did not entirely know why. If that had been any other person, yes of course she would have done the same, but would she have felt the same level of worry? Of course, right?

Seeing him injured on the dirt floor invoked a sense of worry, and a sense of protectivity she hadn't felt before, but she knew deep down that she would do anything and everything that she could for this boy. She wanted to take care of him, and make him feel better, even if she couldn't, she wanted to so badly.

And seeing him hurt emotionally as well was a whole new ballpark. She is not a stranger to emotional pain, no, not at all, and she definitely isn't a stranger to the emotional pain of other people, but the pain of this boy was different, and she came to the conclusion that she just never wanted him to be pained ever again.

Not that she wants anyone else in pain, of course, she definitely didn't want that. She wants none of her friends in pain, but it was different with Norman.

No matter what she tried to think of to explain the difference, she couldn't, and she wishes her thoughts and feelings were more consistent. But so far, the only thing thats clicked in her mind is that the boy, the white haired one whom she had her faced buried into, was different. And she could not, for the life of her, pinpoint why.

It was as if she's known him her whole life, but thats just not possible.

"Can I ask you a question?" Norman piped up after a while.

Intrigued, Emma looked up from his shoulder, and looked up to him, locking her eyes on his.

"Yeah?"

"Why do you care so much about me?"

That was certainly unexpected. Why would he question her care? Doesn't everyone want to be cared for?

"Of course, I like it! I really appreciate it, a lot. I just..why? You've barely known me a week, and you hardly know me.."

She just stared into his eyes after that. She couldn't answer him, mainly because she just didn't know why. She just knew that he was very, very special, and she knew that she wanted him to always be with her.

"Well." Emma started, and glanced down to avoid his gaze. He was slightly higher in elevation, so she was looking down at his chest.

"I guess, I don't really know. I just, I really like you!"

Norman was suddenly filled with butterflies, and his heart began to race. Did she just say she liked him??

"W-what?" He asked in shock.

She just smiled and giggled a little, "I don't know, but I feel like we could be best friends!"

His heart rate once again shot up, but this time it was due to a different feeling. He felt disappointed. Best friends? Of course he was happy with the title, any role that was close to her was a win in his book, but it wasn't exactly what he wanted.

"Oh."

This gave Emma a frown. Did he not want to be her best friend?

"Why do you seem so..saddened by that? Do you not want to be my best friend?" She asked, the sadness in her voice was very apparent.

Norman's eyes widened, "No! Thats not what I meant!"

"What..did you mean?"

"I just, uh.." He paused, trying to figure out a way to fix this. Right now he looked like a jerk, and he really did not want that.

He had to come up with something, and he had to make it fast. Or else she'd never trust anything he'd say, especially of it doesn't seem honest.

"Well..I just, never really had a best friend growing up." It was the best possible save he could think of. The sadness in her eyes shifted somewhat, and within moments he could tell that she bought the explanation, which meant that he was in the clear. He did feel bad for coming up with such a heartfelt excuse, as this was definitely sure to win over sympathy from her, but the truth might have driven her away.

"Oh." She responded with, "I'm sorry if I made you feel bad, then. That wasn't my intention!"

Norman chuckled lowly, "Yeah, I know that. I'm sorry I gave you the wrong impression," He smiled down at her, and brushed her hair back with his hand, "Of course I want to be your best friend."

Her green eyes lit up the moment he said that, and even though it killed him inside to lie to her, the happiness it gave her made it all worth it to him.

"Really?" She asked, the excitement in her voice was very noticeable. He nodded.

Thats it, thats what she wanted, she thought. She knew he was special, and she thought that she had found out why. Of course she wanted to be around him more than everyone else, because thats what a best friend is. A best friend is like, the top notch of your friends. A best friend is the one that you go to first about everything, and the one that you never want to be apart from, right?

So, why does she still feel that its not enough? Why did a part of her still feel empty when he confirmed their status as best friends?

~

Short chapter, sorry! My life is pretty busy, but I'm trying my best to update every day :)