39 (BONUS)

The smaller boy eagerly awaited his mother's arrival. He had been at the table, eating breakfast with his mother like he usually does, when she got a phone call randomly. In one second, she had been laughing with her only son as they ate together, but in the next, she was hurriedly putting on her coat and shoes, apologizing profusely to her small, black haired son for leaving so suddenly. It all happened so fast, that the boy didn't even have the time to ask her what was going on, wherever she was going, she was in a hurry. However, before leaving, she assured him that she'd be back soon.

Of course, this rarely ever bothered him anymore. His mom has been the sole provider for him for as long as he can remember, so at some point he got used to her having to leave so suddenly for work at random times. However, this time, it didn't look like it was work related. Besides, when its work related, than that means that she won't be back for a while, but she said she'd be back soon. Whatever this was, this wasn't work related at all.

The boy was young, but he was actually quite smart, so he figured all of this out pretty easily. Now he waited patiently for his mother to get back home. He sat on the couch, and occasionally he'd stand in the cushions and peer out of the window to look out at the front yard, wondering when he'd see his mom reappear. It was only a matter of time till she got back probably, because she hadn't even taken her purse. Whenever she meant to be out for long periods of time, she'd bring her purse, but she didn't.

Even if she had taken a while to get back, he'd still be waiting. He's grown so accustomed to being on his own for long periods of time, that he's learned to keep himself company with his thoughts. The boy wasn't like other kids his age, many other kids would complain about boredom, and they'd definitely not be able to sit still for so long.

But this boy wasn't like that. Having only one parent is rough, but he learned very quickly to not make things tougher for himself and his mother than they already were. If that meant he had to grow accustomed to being alone, then so be it.

After what seemed like forever, but had only been around an hour instead, the boy heard a familiar car pulling up to the front of the house. His mother told him to not be peering out the window so often, so instead of looking out at her, he stayed sitting down on the couch, kicking his small feet off the ground as he awaited that familiar sound of a key in the door lock.

Footsteps were heard approaching the front door, and soon the sound of a lock being unlocked was heard, and the door slowly opened.

He knew that his mother would be coming back home, but he didn't anticipate her bringing home someone else. She walked in, but behind her, she brought along a smaller child that the boy had never seen before. The child was hiding behind the woman, and she had a small blanket wrapped around her.

The boy's mother had gently closed the door behind the child, as if she was scared to do anything sudden around the kid, and she then turned to her son, "Ray, can you come here a second?"

The raven haired boy was confused, but he complied with his mothers request. He hopped off of the couch, and he walked up to the two kind of slowly, not knowing what was going on.

His mother then turned around to face the child, "Honey, can you take off your blanket, so that we can give you a proper welcome?"

The child didn't move for a second, but soon she, very hesitantly, took the blanket that was wrapped on top of her head off, and it instead fell onto her shoulders. It was only then that the boy could finally see any features of the child. The child had messy, orange looking hair, dull green eyes, and a very scared looking expression. She caught the gaze of the boy standing in front of her, and she hid further behind his mother.

The woman could tell how scared she was, and so she put her hand on her shoulder, "Hey, its okay, my son is quite nice, you don't have to be scared." Still though, the small redhead stayed hidden behind her.