11

They had been at the abandoned park for a while, though it definitely did not seem as if it had. The sun was beginning to set, and the swirls of orange and pink began to appear in the sky.

The rest of the day had been spent in small talk, laughter, and their migration to the swingset. The sun setting meant that they should probably get ready to head back home. Both of them noticed this.

"Maybe we should start heading home now, its gonna be dark soon." Norman informed Emma, whom was in the swing to his right. She looked up at the sky, to the horizon where the sun was fated to fall, and then turned back to Norman, and smiled.

"Lets just watch the sunset first! Its really pretty.." She said, her voice trailing off as she stared off at the sunset.

If only Norman could be cheesy and tell her some common line, like "Not as pretty as you." or something like that.

"What was that?" Emma asked, looking back again at the boy to her left.

And then he realized that he accidentally said it out loud. His voice was low, she likely doesn't know exactly what he said, but she knows he said something. When realization hit him, his face turned red, and he could not stop the nervousness flowing through his veins.

Now he had to come up with yet another excuse for his actions without telling Emma the truth.

"Uh..I forgot what I said."

How smooth.

She giggled, "No worries, tell me if you remember later!"

Oh, he'll definitely remember later.

He smiled and nodded, and looked to his left to avoid staring at her. His arm had stopped hurting a little while ago, but it still hurt to touch.

"I like all the pink in the sky. There isn't much pink naturally in the sky until the sunset, and I think its my favorite part of the sunset." She said, quite obviously enthralled in the event.

He could definitely see why she liked it, it really was pretty with the way it blended into the other colors in swirls.

"Whats your favorite part of it?" Emma asked, looking back at him once more.

"Me? Well, I like the orange."

~

They stayed longer than they should have, because by the time they made it out through the hidden trail, it was already dark. They couldn't help themselves though, the sunset was too pretty, and the time they spent together was too valuable.

"Maybe we should have left sooner.." Norman said, taking note of how dark and cold it had gotten. He looked to his right, and saw that Emma was shivering, she dressed for the warm, and now she was regretting it because of the drop in temperature.

"Yeah, maybe we should have." She said as she giggled, "Oh well! I don't mind, I like spending time with you."

"But you look really cold."

She made an attempt to slow down her shivering, and she gave Norman a thumbs up, "I'm good!"

He obviously knew that she was lying. What was he supposed to do now, though, give her his jacket? Is this the part where he does that?

But what if he gets cold?

He took another look down at her, and she had let her guard back down and was again shivering. She looked up at him, caught his gaze, and quickly averted her eyes and put her guard back up. Energy she could have been using as heat was instead being used to counter her shivering. How smart.