4

"The building was originally built in the 1880's, by South Korea as a place for the criminally insane and dangerous, named, the Seoul Psychiatric Hospital for the Criminally Insane." Namjoon pointed to the first set of photo's, the small stone structure, with dour faced, white clad figures outside, staring at the camera.

 Silence fell over the table as the photo's were passed around, Namjoon speaking low and quiet as the other's listened intently. "There is not a lot of information on the earlier days. We can assume however, it wasn't pretty, there were no rights and sanctions in those days for criminals. The very worst of the worst were sent there; pedophiles, sexual deviants, serial killers."

There were some photo's, black and white, of men with shaved heads, a small board with their name and social security number on it. One was staring at the camera, a lunatic look in his eyes.

"It was closed at the turn of the century, and stood empty until 1910, when a large new extension with cutting edge technology was added." There were photos of construction, followed by pictures of the finished product. A large imposing building that seemed to go forever. "It was reopened in 1914 during the Japanese takeover, now as a military hospital."

He reached into the other envelope, searching and finding the picture he was looking for. An older photo, with hundred or so white clad nurses, doctors, and orderlies who were standing dourly before the camera, the plaque for the opening of the hospital in the foreground.

"From what we could find of those years, there were a couple of things that seemed to stick out. The first was an influenza outbreak in 1917, and then again in 1922. It wiped out a good deal of the sick wards, the hospital however, tried to keep it contained." There were pictures of row upon rows of white swaddled bodies being lowered into graves by men with cloths tied around their mouths and noses. "The 1930's brought a laundry list of problems, a severe financial fallout took it's toll on the quality of care as well as the staffing."

More pictures of gaunt looking men and women lining up to get soup, or rations from those doling them out. More photo's of sick looking wards, the once beautifully white ceilings now dull, cracked, bed's overflowing the rooms, dirty looking sheets, it looked disgusting.

"It was closed mid way through the 30's, and abandoned for years." The detective looked grimly at them. "Here's where it gets interesting, it was reopened in 1952, this time as Seoul Psychiatric Asylum. A mental institution headed by this man..." long fingers pulled a photo from his stack, handing it to Tae, who glanced at it in passing before sending it to Jungkook.

Tae felt the hand that was resting on his knee clench, Jungkook gasping softly. Sharp chocolate eye's looked at his lover, who was still looking pale, the soldier, for the first time, noticing the dark circling his large eyes.

"Dr. Son Han-gyeol." Namjoon continued, drawing a frowning Taehyung back to him, "A young gun-ho doctor trying to make a name form himself. On the very cutting edge of therapies for the insane, he ran an effective, well thought of hospital."

More photo's, now better quality, showing a man pointing at people strapped into various machine's. Obviously showing off.

"From what we understand, from 1952 until 1962, the hospital was the finest institution for those who suffered from serious mental illnesses. Dr. Son had a 90% success rate, people coming from all over to be admitted and treated, even internationally."

Newspaper clippings in little covers, glorifying the hospital and the amazing Doctor Son.

"Now, here's were it gets weird. All records show that after 1962 the hospital stopped taking patents, stopped hiring, stopping allowing people out." Silence, all eyes on him. "For five years nobody went near that place...until him."