020

020

'"And Uno out!" James spoke aggressively smacking the playing cards onto the pile that we had created on the bed.

"You literally cheated!"  I spoke as I dropped the rest of the playing card that's I held in my hand in defeat.

"I did not." James pressed his lips in a firm line as his eyes crinkled attempting to seal a smile.

I stared at him and suspicion before glancing around his messy bedroom trying to spot where he could have stashed the uno cards before letting my gaze fall back onto him.

"You idiot."I mumbled as I shoved him causing him to lose balance as he stumbling off the side of the bed I chuckled as a thub echoed out as he came into contact with the hard word floor.

There laid the other six uno cards dented from him sitting on it I Snatched it off the bed before waving it in his face "you-," I spoke filinging the rest of the Uno cards at him "cheated."

"That's only because you were going to wi-"
His words were cut short as shouting broke out outside the window.

I stepped off the bed as I made my way over to the window soon after James followed.

We stood there watching from the window as Alex slammed the car door while shouting at Gen who  shouted back at him.

Even with the thin windows there words were slightly muffled.

"Just tell me what the hell is going on with you, ever since you got assigned to work that case overseas- people Alex claiming they work for the government has been showing up to over door non stop- not to mention them following me and the kids around the fucking grocery store!"

"I'm not doing this!" Alex screamed before storming into the house only for Gen to storm after him.

"Dad messed up..." James spoke bring my attention over to his.

"I'm sure he'll find a way to fix it." I shrugged as as I sent him a wry smile only for his expression to fall flat.

"No...Not this time." I started at him confused waiting for an explanation only for the bedroom to burst open as Alex grabbed James yanking him out the room.

"You're not doing this Alex!" Gen shouted.

Mahone pushed past her as the shouting continued outside once again.

I watched as Mahone screamed at him to get into the car as they both continued to shout at each other.

There was shouting, until there was nothing but the sound of the car peeling out of the driveway and the yelled still leaving my moms throat.

I recall it like it was yesterday even though the last time I saw James alive was nine years ago.

Its foolish to me that, that memory found it way to the front of my mind now that he stood inches away from me.

I wish that part of my life no longer bothered me but it does.

Maybe if I just had a better understanding I would like to believe that things could have turned out much differently.