Chapter One

All I've ever wanted is to live my life for me.

"Andromeda," her mother said. "Andromeda, we have some exciting news for you."

It couldn't be that exciting, as her mother remained perfectly still in her spot on the couch, her voice barely changing in inflection. Though something flashed through her dark eyes, like fire against the black sky.

To make my own decisions, free of the restraints of others.

"Mother, it's been quite pleasant visiting with you, but I really must be getting back to school. I can't afford to miss any classes." She smiled weakly in an attempt to lighten her mother's intense stare. "You know how it is. You miss one day and then you're miles—"

"Andromeda," Her mother interrupted. "Stop babbling."

Andromeda tried to avoid looking at her feet. "Sorry, mother."

Her mother tsked, "I understand you are eager to return to your studies, but you could have made that point in far less words."

Andromeda bit her lip. "You're right, mother, on both counts, I am eager to return." And to get away from him...

Her mother smiled, a ghostly smile that held no real emotion. "See Cordelia, I told you, she is quite committed to her studies."

To choose my own path.

"Yes," came a voice from the shadows, and Mrs. Lestrange emerged. Her dark hair contrasted sharply with Mrs. Black's pale blond hair, and her blue eyes were bright with worry. "But a wife needs to be more than intelligent."

Despite their differences, they seemed to have a lot of things in common. They both had tall, thin frames and stood as though the earth itself were beneath them. Their eyes were same devastatingly beautiful and equally empty.

"How committed is she to her blood?" Mrs. Lestrange asked.

I want to choose who I become.

"My daughter would never dream of associating with anyone or anything beneath her. She is a Black." Andromeda could feel her mother's gaze return to her, could see the challenge there. She felt the blood rushing to her cheeks, but she dared not show any sign of weakness, not now. "She knows where her loyalties lie." She didn't miss her mother's unspoken threat.

"I see," Mrs. Lestrange said.

"Then you have no further arguments?" Her mother's voice was polite, but clipped.

Mrs. Lestrange only smiled, before daintily waving her fingers. "Rabastan, darling, do come here."

To be me, without having to be afraid.

Rabastan came forward, tall and wiry like his mother. His golden hair crept over his dark eyes, and there was a soft smile on his full lips. The curves and shadows of his face made him seem almost beautiful, though there was something about him that seemed off, or perhaps she just detested the way her heart pounded in his presence.

"I see no reason to delay." He mother stood, graceful as a hunting lioness, or that was how Andromeda pictured her. "On behalf my husband, Cygnus Arian Black, I do present my daughter, Andromeda Niobe Black, as the future spouse of your son, Rabastan Perseus Lestrange."

Andromeda gasped, she couldn't help it. An ice-cold chill washed over her, freezing her thoughts and body in that moment.

"I accept your proposal. Your daughter will make fine wife for my son." Mrs. Lestrange's voice carried the same cool weight of her mother's.

To be free.

Rabastan stepped forward, his eyes never leaving her. Her heart was still pounding, but it was like the sickening thud of a man being lead up the gallows. She shouldn't be so dramatic. She's lucky an arranged marriage was all she got after what she did.

He took her hand. "And do you accept me, milady?" His voice was the low purr of honey. She resisted the urge to pull away. She had only once choice, and this was it.

"I would not dare refuse such an offer, my lord." His eyes flashed as he lifted her hand to his mouth and kissed it, his lips burning where they touched her skin.

There are some things that never can be, some choices that will never be ours, and I have seen the last of mine.

Engaged. The word felt weird on her lips, but considering she had just started sixth year, it wasn't exactly a word used to describe most people her age. Technically, she and Rabastan were only betrothed, since the ceremony wouldn't take place until she left Hogwarts, nearly two years from now. Though from the way her parents talked about it, you'd think the ceremony was happening tomorrow.

She sighed. This had always been a possibility, but sometimes pureblood families let their children choose their spouses. She'd always though if she was good that would've been the case, and maybe if she had, it still would be. She was lucky only Bellatrix and her parents knew what she'd done. What was she supposed to have done though? If she hadn't interfered, Bellatrix might've killed—

She slammed into something, or rather someone, and her books slid from her fingers and crashed to the floor. She took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, I'm—" she stopped. It was Ted Tonks, a Hufflepuff and a fellow sixth year. He met her stare with a small, quirky smirk, but before she could reply he was bending down to pick up her books. She stared at him for a moment before realizing herself and hastily bent down to help him. Even as she bent down he was straightening back up. She nearly lost her balance trying to follow him back up, or maybe that's because she found herself staring at him. He grinned, brushing his messy blond hair away from his eyes.

"Here ya go." He carefully tipped the books into her arms. She caught them, but somewhere in the process her hand brushed against his. She jumped back, tensing. The smile slipped from his lips and his eyes seemed to lose some of their luster.

"Don't worry, I doubt your blood will rot from such a brief touch with a Mudblood." He somehow managed to say that politely, though there was certainly a cool edge to his voice, and he said the word Mudblood like it was a bitter poison he was forced to swallow. "And I would like to point out, it was you who bumped into me."

"I—I—" she couldn't formulate a defense, so instead she mumbled. "Sorry."

"I wasn't accusing you of anything," he said. He studied her, like she was some puzzle he thought it would be amusing to solve. It was an unsettling thought.

"Right," she said, confused, before adjusting the books in her arms and taking off down the hall.

"Aren't you supposed to going the other way?" he asked.

"No," she said, even though she had no idea. She just needed to get away, and that meant going this way.

She lost his reply in the noise of transitioning students. It might have been "Suit yourself." She'd made it up two flights of stairs before realizing he was right. She was supposed to be heading to charms next, which was on the complete other side of the school. Hoisting her bag up higher she took off toward charms, though there was absolutely no way she'd make it on time.