Chapter 4 - Risk

Dakota Delaune

10 years ago..

After years not letting me go to a real highschool, my parents decided that now is the time. When I turned 17, I asked my parents if I could just be like other kids to go to school and have a big social life. They granted me on three conditions.

1. No boyfriend
2. No partying
3. Go straight home after school

My parents dropped me off to school and the principal greeted us. I guess my father did put some money to this school so they could take care of me. The principal brought me into the school and introduced me to all of the facilities, the classes and even the cafeteria where we have our lunch break.

She gave me my timetable and led me to my class. She knocked on the door and gestured me to walk in first. I took everyone's attention and I tried my best to smile.

"Good morning student, this is Dakota Delaune. She would be joining us this year." Principal Jenn said and I turned to her.

"Mr. Vander." I turned to the boy who raised his hand when Principal Jenn called.

"Yes?"

"Please help Dakota when she has difficulties." She said as she put her arm around my shoulder. "Dakota, that's Angelo Vander. He's one of our best students here, if you have any problems.. you can ask him."

"Thankyou so much." I said and she left me.

"I'm Mr. Giovanni and we're currently studying Biology. You may shortly introduce yourself." He said as he gestured me to say a word or two to my classmates.

"Hello everybody, I'm Dakota. I used to be home schooled so please go easy on me." I said awkwardly and they gave me an applause welcoming me. Mr. Giovanni pointed his finger to an empty chair at the back. I nodded and walked towards it.

I turned to the boy who Principal Jenn introduced me to. His name is Angelo right? I hope he could help me with a lot of things since I'm not really familiar with school.

The first week was pretty tough for me. I wasn't used to be in an environment full of people and the hecticness. My classmates were really nice and they're pretty welcome except for Angelo Vander.

I asked about him to my classmates and they told me that Angelo is always quite. He rarely talks and always alone. He's the smartest boy in school and he got a full scholarship for it. That's the only information that they got but that made me curious.

I want to know more.

When the break time rolled around, other students immediately ran out from the class to get lunch. I turned to Angelo who sat 2 seats away from me. I got up and walked towards him.

"Uhmm.." He looked up to me and raised his eyebrows.

"You need something?" He asked and I put my Math book in front of him. I pointed out and he gestured me to pull a chair beside me. I sat down and he explained me slowly. I was trying my best to concentrate but I was distracted by his manly scent.

"Do you get it?" He asked and I nodded without understanding a bit.

"Do it." He said and that's when I got back to reality. I turned to him and he gestured me to do it.

"Do it.. I want to see you if you understand or not." He said and I looked down to the question. I was looking at it blankly, completely zoning out.

"That's what I thought." He said.

"This is my last time explaining, listen to it very well." He said and I nodded. I pinched myself secretly below my desk to get my sense back. Angelo explained again and I listened to it very carefully.

"Do you get it?" He asked as he put his pencil down.

"Yeah, thanks." I said and he nodded.

"Let's go to the cafeteria." I said as I got up from my seat. I put the chair back and he gestured me to go.

"You can go, I'll stay here and sleep." He put his books into his back emptying his desk so he can sleep. I walked back to my table and put my book down. I turned to him again and he already laid his head on the table.

Instead of going to the cafeteria, I sat down and laid my head on the table too. I faced my head towards him to see him sleeping peacefully. Angelo Vander is the type of person who wants to be invisible but ended up being so visible in front of my eyes.

I know that he's different but I still couldn't put my finger on it.

After school, I walked out and found my chauffer already waiting for me. I bid goodbyes to my friends and before I got into the car, my eyes landed on Angelo who just took out his bike.

I got into the car and told my chauffer to follow Angelo but in distance. I want to know where he lives. I was so curious that I kept looking at him from afar. He was driving his bike really fast that my chauffer almost lost him.

Suddenly he stopped in front of a small house, he put his bike down and walked in. Is this his house? It's smaller than my closet. I quickly asked my chauffer to drive home because I was a little bit afraid that my parents would caught me not going straight home.

Dakota, you need to stop this curiousity before it's getting out of hand. Last time, I was so curious about something.. I ended in the hospital with a broken arm.

Angelo Vander is just like everybody else, a normal kid. Don't even think about following him again because it's stupid and creepy.

I tried to tell myself that I need to do whatever my parents want me to be. I don't want to take risk and mess up with it.