12.

YOU HELD YOUR BREATH WHEN THE MIRROR STARTED GLOWING

YOU HELD YOUR BREATH WHEN THE MIRROR STARTED GLOWING. It had started from a few years ago, and had given you sensible advice since then. But it'd always made you nervous. After all, you'd never seen the person that the voice belonged to. And you always had a feeling it was watching you.

"Hello," it's melodic voice rang out. You stared at it. "Hello," you said back. "What advice would your majesty want?" It asked.

You pursed your lips, "my husband has a mistress." The mirror made a sighing sound and it spoke. "Men who commit adultery are the worst," it's voice was strained. "What is the woman's name?" You laughed nervously, "Serang."

"Describe her characteristics," it commanded.

"She's a wonderful person," you replied. "I can see why he likes her." The mirror laughed lightly. "Your majesty is far too forgiving." You shook you head, "no, no. You really should give her a chance." It glowed, "are you asking for advice?" You nodded, clutching the hem of your blouse.

"Request approval for a divorce," it murmured. "Your husband will always want you and love you, but will always choose her now. Give her the crown, and run to Busan. They will chase after you, but once you reach the inner palace of Busan, request protection. King Park will grant it." Your lips parted, "but - leave here?"

"Yes," it said, blithely. "You may not see the wisdom for it now, but soon you will. When you see how heartbroken you will be, you will listen, your majesty. Besides, when have I ever failed you?" You sighed, defeated. "You're right, mirror. But I don't know if I can." The mirror chuckled, "then perhaps I will find another way." And it stopped glowing.

It was night when a high pitched scream lit through the palace of Seoul. You sat up, wondering if it was yourself, awakening from a dream. But it wasn't you, you didn't scream like that. The doors burst open and you forced yourself to stay calm. "My queen!" The guard bowed. "Are you alright?" You had been forced to move into a separate chamber, courtesy of your stupid mistress.

"I, I am fine," you said. "I think that was, was her." He bowed again, "thank you, your majesty." He quickly ran out. You rolled to the edge of the bed and slipped your foot inside your shoes. You followed him out. "The king!" You heard the captain yell. "Consort Jung!" You looked at him, startled. "They are dead!" Your eyes widened.

"What?" You shouted at him. He trembled as you stood over him. "It must have been a spy!" He pleaded. "Please give mercy." You pursed your lips and growled. "Where are they?" You asked. He stood up and started running towards the stairways, you following shortly afterwards. "He is alive!" A medic shouted and you sighed in relief.

Taeyong was lying on the bed, dozens of sword slashed covering his torso. But Serang, as much as you hated her, was mutilated beyond recognition. You wanted to puke, but you knew that was undignified. "His strength is waning," another medic noted. "Quickly, stitch him." You watched calmly as they worked, but you were trying to figure out who could've done it.

"My lady," the first medic bowed. "She is far gone. But perhaps he is savable." Hopefully, you thought. The rest of the night was fitful until morning. Taeyong was still weak, so you went up to his quarters. "Hello," he said, startled. "Y/n, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to attend to you," you replied bluntly. He studied you carefully. "I'm sorry," he said. "I wasn't thinking."

"Of course you weren't," you said. "I've known since we were kids." He looked offended for a minute. "You betrayed my trust," you said. "Yet you have the absolute audacity to make jokes about this?" You kept your voice deadly quiet, deadly calm. You looked him in the eyes and he swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down.

"I wish you died," you said. He looked at you, surprised, clearly not expecting that. "What?" He asked dubiously. "I wish you died," you repeated. "I wish to the bottom of my heart that you died, you coward."

It was nighttime when the mirror started glowing, "I sense something is wrong." You whirled around, "mirror, you scared me!"

"I apologize," it said. "What's wrong?"

"There was an attempted assassination on Serang and the king," you said quietly. It laughed, coldly and softly. "Did you like my work?" It asked. You stepped back, "what do you mean?" It seemed to wait as you realized what he was saying. You flinched, "you. You killed her. You almost killed him."

"He didn't deserve it as much as she did," the mirror said, bitterly. "After all, he is the love of your life." Your lips parted, "you killed her. Don't try to justify your actions." You wanted out, to leave and never come back. But as you reached for the door, you heard it click. You gasped, knowing it was locked. You looked at the door, someone had reversed it. You stormed to the mirror. "Who is working under you?" You demanded.

It chuckled, "no one, your majesty. Only myself."

You grit your teeth, "let me out."

"No," it said bluntly. You clenched your fists, looking around you. You grabbed the closest thing you could find and flung it at the mirror as hard as possible. It shattered and you sighed in relief. You spoke too soon. A moment later, someone stepped out. You screamed, desperately trying to get away. You yelled, "help! Let me out!" But it was like your guards were deaf or dead.

As you turned away to run and kick the door down, cold fingers wrapped around your arm and you screwed your eyes shut, not moving. Your lip snagged on your tooth and your heart beat so fast it felt like it was going to burst. "Please let me go," you begged. The man laughed, sounding like the mirror.

You opened your eyes. "Thank you for freeing me," he said. "I am Kim Seokjin." You struggled to free yourself from his iron grip. "Let go of me," you hissed. His grip tightened and you groaned, knowing it was going to leave bruises.

"What do you want?" You closed your eyes again, embracing death if that's what he was going to do. He grabbed you and flung you onto the bed, and a soft groan escaped you. "I have always loved you," he whispered softly, caressing your face. You pushed him away. "Stop," you said. "Stop."

But he wouldn't, and you found yourself pinned underneath him. His body was like a prison, and he was intimidatingly tall. "Stop!" You shouted in his face as he kissed you, his lips brushing past you. "Stop. Stop. Kim Seokjin, as long as you are in my kingdom, you do not get to kiss me or do anything to me."

He smirked, "you can't exactly overpower me, can you." You closed your mouth to stop an over sprout of curses that we're going to erupt from your mouth.

"You're mine," he pressed his body into yours. "Not Taeyong's. Mine. You are not going to escape me. Not now, not ever." From his back, he protruded a sword. "Now you're going to watch as I remake this kingdom, with me as the king. And you as my queen."