Volume 1 - Chapter 3: Clodwal's Adventure Begins

I took flight and flew up, it was my first time flying. I've never thought being one with the winds could be this relaxing, and pleasant. I flew overhead the clouds and dived down after gaining a good height, aiming in the Capital's direction. As I flew, a flight flock of birds I have not seen before flew alongside me as if I was one of them, I did not feel lonely at all as they accompanied me to the capital. What normally takes a whole month of journey by carriage took me twenty minutes by flight to reach the capital. After reaching my destination, I then gave my farewells to my flying friends hoping I can see them again. They were pretty speedy birds, they were.

The capital seemed to be a rather important place as it was surrounded by a hundred meters tall wall, the capital's gates had a long line, I landed in front of the city gates and mistakenly caught people's attention. That was rather foolish of me to make such an entrance. And now the knights are walking to my direction with their spears at hand.

Gate Guard: "Hey you, strange clothed man with black hair."

Clodwal: "I don't see value in describing someone how they look like when they are obviously the owners themselves..."

Gate Guard 2: "Please show some respect. We're knights here and you're just a civilian."

Clodwal: "I don't see value in your unnecessary flexing..."

Gate Guard 2: "Sir, you're becoming very annoying."

The knight emitted killing intent to intimidate me which was later stopped by the other knight who accompanied him by thrusting his hand forward in the knight's front.

Gate Guard: "I sincerely apologise for his behavior, he's new to the job."

Gate Guard 2: "But cap--"

The guard that seemed to be of a superior rank urged the other to refrain from saying any more and whispered to him while I silently listened.

Gate Guard: "Don't be a fool, you don't know who he is yet, look at his clothes. He seems like he came from a wealthy family, a nobleman. What if he executes you right this instant?"

Gate Guard 2: "Y-yes sir!"

Gate Guard: "Now then, back to the question. Kind sir, what brings you here? and may I know your name?"

Clodwal: "Okamura Clodwal..."

Gate Guard: (Clodwal Family? I don't know of such a noble family in Arkheist, is he perhaps just a commoner?)

Clodwal: "I'm currently broke beyond compare... I would like to enter the capital to register in the guild as an adventurer to earn a living..."

Gate Guard 2: "You're broke aren't you? Then we can't let you in, we have entrance fees here. Get lost."

Clodwal: "I did indeed mention I was broke but I did not say I had no money at all, yes..?"

Gate Guard 2: "You should have said that at first then."

Gate Guard: "We'll first need to ask you some questions before you're allowed to enter. Please follow me."

The gate guards then accompanied me to their office and asked me several questions such as where I came from, my age and what reason I came to the capital for which they shrugged off as something common, it may have been often that people come to the capital to register as adventurers. I thus paid 5 silvers to them as entrance fees. By the way, the currency in this world goes like this.

5 Copper Coins is enough to buy bread
1 Silver Coin = 100 Copper Coins
1 Gold Coin = 100 Silver Coins
1 Platinum Coin = 100 Gold Coins

They let me pass and enter the gates, and in my entrance was the scenery of what I hoped for. The streets was filled with stalls at the sidelines selling many things I have never seen or heard of before including those I know of. Books, herbs, potions, scrolls and many other items were lined up in the stalls. I was suddenly filled with the feeling of satisfaction for being summoned in such a world.