Year 4: Drowning

The morning of the ball I decided to skip breakfast so that I could pack my bags for tonight. Malfoy bothered me all week about leaving before the ball just like he did the night Cedric had asked me. I had argued with him every time. I was already nervous about tonight as well, I was excited to have a date, but I didn't know what to expect.

Our friends had no idea about us going together and I didn't know what they would think when we were likely glued together at the hip all night. I just wanted to enjoy the evening before I had to hop on train with Draco for 6 hours. I had no idea why I was being forced to go to his manor so urgently when we could have just left in the morning. I had no idea what the Dark Lord wanted with me either and frankly I was a little worried about it.

It often ate at me as to what my friends would think if they knew I was involved with the Dark Lord. I already had enough working against me surely they wouldn't approve if they knew how closely my parents work with him. I'd just be labeled as a dangerous person to even be associated with. Even Draco, the man who wanted to brag about everything kept his mouth shut about his involvement.

Granted most people could assume and draw conclusions regarding both of our families. However, no one dared asked or accused us. Draco and I both had a temper you didn't want to mess with. I had grown much tamer with my anger, but I had a few incidents mainly with Draco, but a few times in public. It was just enough to just get the message out there to not bother me.

I packed away the things I needed for the winter break. I left just my robes and nonessentials in my drawers. I packed away a black pant suit for my meeting with the Dark Lord. It was a much different outfit from my formal gown, but I don't think the soft and girly style would appear well in front of the Dark Lord. I tucked all my things away and left my luggage by the door and just as I did Zara entered.

"Hey where were you?" She asked looking very confused.

"I got caught up packing, I just skipped breakfast." I said with a soft smile as she came in and plopped down on her bed.

"We still have a few more days to pack, why do it today?" She asked.

"I have to leave early, I'll probably be gone tonight after the dance." I said trying to quickly get away from this conversation.

"How come?" She asked watching me tidy up.

"My parents have a vacation planned, we leave tomorrow so they wanted me home early." I said laughing gently. It was definitely like my parents to plan last minute things so she understood.

"Alright, well you missed the weirdest breakfast ever." She said with a soft laugh.

"How so?" I asked sitting on the end of my bed.

"Cedric showed up looking a hot mess, he looked like he hadn't slept in a week. He was stuttering all morning and was acting so off." She said shrugging her shoulders.

"That's odd." I said trying to not seem to interested because I didn't want her to catch on.

"He seemed unsettled by the fact that you weren't there. He kept asking if you were okay." She said.

"Well that's sweet of him, I'm fine I just needed to pack." I said.

"I think he might have a crush on you." She said and my head snapped to her.

"I don't know about that, I thought he liked Cho." I said quickly trying to divert that focus off of me.

"Not at all, now that I think about it I don't think he's ever studied with anyone else. You guys do a lot together." She said and I could tell she was prodding me.