Year 6: Oppose

The year did not hesitate to pick up when school returned. Dozens of attacks were happening and being planned on the ministry. To everyone's surprise a few also reached the muggle world. Tensions seem to get even higher compared to before which we didn't even think was possible. Dumbledoor seemingly gave nightly speeches for dinner as if he was scared and with what I knew was coming, he should be.

Snape had called Draco and I into his office very late last night and I had never seen him so disheveled. He had received instructions from Voldemort himself to have us prepare the cabinet. In a weeks time we would open the cabinet up and they would enter hogwarts. I was to lead Dumbledoor up to the Astronomy Tower and the only instructions after that were to finish what he had started.

I was horrified of course, but I knew it was coming. I had prepared myself the moment I was told to gain his trust. We had now spent months knowing this was to come. It was scary, but it was what we were always intended to do. I had prepared a letter for Dumbledoor asking him to meet me in the Astronomy Tower this weekend because I'd like to discuss something with him privately.

I hoped it wouldn't seem too odd considering our last two discussions together. I was clearly untrusting of his guards and most everyone at this school. To him, I appeared to only trust him and Snape who was practically his second hand.

Draco was practicing all week even skipping his classes to prepare. I had hardly seen him all week with how pressed he had been over the cabinet. I couldn't do much prep work except write the letter to send out this week. Zara and Blaise knew something was up, but we couldn't even tell them what was going on.

I went to all my classes like usual trying to just keep myself busy and my mind doing something. I was going to visit Draco this evening to make sure he was alright, but I was pretty restless myself. I was not given much sleep for the simple fact that I was often panicking late at night just worrying about it.

The bell rang and I closed my book and left the classroom. Halls were filled with students as they rushed to dinner excitedly. I walked in the opposite direction headed to the Room of Requirement. I often walked here most days instead of going straight to dinner, though recently I tried to not pester Draco too much. He was so flustered and focused I tried to just let him do his thing.

I made sure no one was looking as I entered the room and I was surprised to find it quiet. I walked in and to where the cabinet and Draco typically was. I actually walked up and thought he wasn't there, but he was curled up on the couch beside it. His under eyes had grown to a dark blue color, he looked exhausted. I saw the cabinet sat wide open and I walked over.

The doors were left open and a small piece of parchment sat on the middle shelf. I reached in and grabbed it and saw a short simple message written in black ink. I held it up to read 'Friday 22:00'. I shut the doors to the cabinet and I heard a noise behind me as the wood shut. I turned to see Draco sitting up on the couch. He looked groggy and half awake.

"What time is it?" He asked in a scratchy voice.

"Dinner time. You should eat." I stated because he wasn't at breakfast this morning so I'm sure he hadn't eaten.

"No I need to keep trying the cabinet." He said shaking his head and rising to his feet.

"Draco, you've been working on it nonstop. You haven't slept in days. The cabinet works, obsessing over it isn't going to help anything. Your just exhausting yourself." I said shaking my head. "Come on let me help you."

"I can't fail Aurora!" He shouted at me in an angry tone. I rose my eyebrows at him not really phased by his outburst, but rather just upset. He didn't need to be overworking himself, he was having this out burst. He stomped forward grabbing my wrist and pulling my forward, but I tried to pull back.