Year 5: Divided

I was sat in potions class working on some reading. There was group projects due today, but I had already finished mine with Draco the day prior. I would have preferred to have done the project with Luna, but I had avoided her for weeks now. She looked at me often in class, but I just avoided her eye contact as much as I could.

I had asked Snape to switch partners a few weeks ago when things started to change with my and my friends. Draco did a good enough job, but Luna had been my partner for over a year. I could tell Draco felt a little odd about it too but we both knew it's what we had to do.

I was reading up for a history exam I had later on today and Draco was fiddling around with his wand while we waited for the class to be finished. Snape rarely gave us anymore slack than others, but with our project finished and us both being caught up with our work he had left us to do whatever. I had done most of the work for the project, but I didn't mind. I didn't have to be bothered by Draco and I knew the project would be done correctly.

I heard the bell ring and I rose my feet and closed my book just tucking under my arm. Draco rose as well and we made a brief eye contact. I looked away awkwardly and turned to leave the class room. I had a free period so I was going to go sit in the courtyard to finish my reading. Draco walked beside me though we didn't speak a word between us. I had stuck close to him often just because I didn't know what else to do.

I had no friends, no boyfriend, just no one else to talk to or be around. I felt like a lost puppy without anyone else so I had clung to Draco more than I'd like to admit. He had initially told me to stick with him on my first day here and I had told myself that I would never but hardly a year later here I was.

We hadn't spoken much since the night we had a fight on the top of the Astronomy Tower. We hadn't really had any anger left towards each other, we just hadn't spoken to each other much. I guess I had felt bad for snapping on him and I think he felt the same way. He hadn't exactly been nice or anything, but he had been pretty tame compared to his usual antics.

The Tournament was starting this evening and I had full intentions of staying inside. I didn't want to have to watch a second of this game. It was going to just upset me, so I'd be spending my time in my dorm sleeping or studying. I know most everyone would be there, but I wanted to be as far away as possible.

I was thankful for the week off before we all went home for the winter break. It was at least going to be a week to get my things together and prepare for whatever we had waiting for us with the Dark Lord. I was worried enough about what was going to happen at the Tournament, but maybe if I just stayed away everyone would be spared. He had left us alone ever since that day in the bathroom so I was hopeful he had seen that he had scared me and thought I had learned my lesson.

"Aurora!" I heard from behind me and I just knew his ears had to have been ringing.

I flipped around to see Cedric running down the hall towards me. I saw Draco walk off to the side of the hall and I thought he was leaving, but he had perched himself on a bench. Clearly he wasn't going to get involved but I frankly wished he had just pulled me away.

"Cedric." I said flatly not wanting to have this conversation. I thought I had avoided him enough the last couple of weeks that I had gotten him off my tail.

"I've stopped by your dorm the last couple of nights hoping to catch you... I hope everything's alright with you." He said almost out of breath from running.

"I'm fine, just studying." I said awkwardly. "Listen, I've got to get somewhere can we talk later?"

"I've been trying to find you for the last week Aurora. Listen I get I messed up, but I've tried giving you your space, please just talk to me." He said desperately.