chapter 1

The gray clouds rolled across the sky promising rain. Stanford pulled his coat around him tighter as he frowned up at the sky; today was the day Cipher would hang for his crimes of piracy and the harassment of the town.

Ford stood at the gallows waiting for the prisoner to be lead up the stage. He would have the honor of hanging the man himself as it was only fair after the betrayal Cipher had done to him. Stanley stood next to him with a matching scowl as they waited.

“It’s almost over.” Stanley muttered to him.

“I hope so.” He murmured back to his twin.

They watched as a man was lead through the crowd of people hissing and booing, but the man in chains just grinned as he was lead up the stairs. Bill’s grin widened at seeing him and Ford sneering at him.

“Hey Fordsey, long time no see.” Bill laughed as the rope was placed around his neck.

“Shut the hell up, Cipher.” Ford spat, glaring at him before he felt his brother’s hand on his shoulder.

“I’m hurt Sixer I really am.” Bill laughed again the one eye he had open shining.

“You’re going to burn in hell Bill and I’m the one who’s going to send you there.” Stanford hissed as he glared at the blond.

“I wouldn’t do that if I was you...” Bill said with that wide grin, yet his voice spoke volumes, the threat clearly evident. The mayor moved and stood in front of the crowd raising his hands for silence before pulling out a piece of parchment.

“Bill Cipher, you are accused of piracy, murder, theft and witchcraft. For these crimes you will be hanged until dead.” The mayor finished before turning and nodding to Stanford who moved to the lever.

“I’m warning you Sixer, if you pull that you and your family will regret it.” Bill hissed at him and Stanford froze as the rain began to fall and for a brief moment he swore a flash of blue flickered under the closed lid of Bills right eye.

“You don’t scare me Bill.” Ford said and grabbed the lever. Just as he pulled lightning struck the platform causing those upon it to go flying to the ground. Hot, bright flames burned where the gallows once stood.

Ford groaned as he laid on the ground, his eyes refocusing on the grey clouds above him as an unwanted yet familiar figure stood over him. He gritted his teeth at the blond hair and face that grinned down at him.

“You’re going to pay for that one Fordsey.” Bill placed a boot down on his chest, his grin widening as he pressed down harder on his ribs. “And so will your family, I can promise you that. I will kill every last Pines.”

There was a moment when Ford feared for his life as Bill raised his boot to smash it back down. Before he could complete the movement, Stanley tackled Bill to the ground the two wrestled and fought before Bill kicked him aside, gaining ground and making a run for it. Stanford moved to his brother’s side who was trying to sit up, curses spilling from him. The sound of booted feet and shouts could be heard as armed guards rushed after the escaped pirate.

“Damn it!”

“Lee, it’s ok, we’ll get him.” Ford tried to calm his brother.

“We can’t let him get away!” Stanley tried to stand, only too groan in pain causing Ford to panic.

“Are you ok?”

“Just my ribs, bastard got a good kick in.” He wheezed.

“He will hang.” Stanford vowed as the twins leaned on each other as the rain began to fall harder. Captain Bill Cipher had escaped the gallows and was now on the run again. Stanford clenched his six fingered hands into fists angrily.

 Some say Captain Bill Cipher sold his soul to a demon to escape the gallows that day, others whisper that he never had a soul to begin with. The town was full of rumors and stories that left everyone terrified. Stories that mothers told their children to make them behave, and kept even the most unsavory men weary of dark shadows. The Pines twins were slowly torn apart as Stanford wanted nothing more than to case after and find Cipher and kill him. While Stanley wanted to protect their family and keep them safe for when Cipher chose to come back; keeping his promise of killing the Pines family.

Years later…

Stanley sighed as he drummed his fingers on the counter of the shop as the rain continued to pour down outside. Letting out a long sigh, Stan decided he might as well close up. It looked like no more customers would be visiting the Mystery Shack: Antiques and Oddities with the weather so poor. He let out a silent curse and went to cleaning the shop for closing, the sound of the bell chime above the door had him groaning.

“Were closed!” He shouted as he rounded one of the shelves but came to an abrupt stop. A young women stood there, her hair soaked from the rain, but his eyes were drawn to the two small children just behind her. They stood so close to each other it would have been difficult to see where one ended and the other began. They had their hands clasped together and both had mops of brown curls that were wet from the rain and dripped drops of water onto their clothes and the floor were they stood.

“I’m sorry, but I’m looking for a Stanford Pines, is that you?” She asked.

“I’m Stanley, you have me confused with my brother.” He said folding his arms as he narrowed his eyes at her.

“My apologies Mr. Pines, they said I would find one of you here.”

“Well you found me, now what do you want?” He asked with a huff.

“My name is Miss. Wyler, and I need to discuss some business with you and your brother.” She stated narrowing her own eyes.

“Well my brother, Stanford, is out at sea. You can always try back in a few months.”

“I don’t think you understand Mr. Pines. I need to discuss Thomas and Mary Pines your nephew and his wife. They are deceased.” She snapped and had Stanley frozen on the spot.

“What?” He asked.

“Do you have some where we can discuss these matters.” She said pinching the bridge of her nose.

“Yeah, sorry, right this way.” Stan led them back to a sitting room and gestured to the table. Sitting down, the woman pulled out a stack of papers from a bag at her side, placing them on the table.

“Have a seat will you?” She said before glancing back at the two children  “Why don’t you two go explore the shop while I discuss some matters with your great Uncle.” She said to the children, smiling warmly at them. The twins just nodded in sync before wandering back into the shop.

“Shit.” Stan rubbed a hand down his face.

“I’m sorry for your loss Mr. Pines.” She started.

“What happened!” He snapped angrily.

“They were gunned down, by a Pirate called Tad Strange. They weren’t the only casualties, I’m afraid.”

“Who?”

“He’s a pirate First Mate of one…” She scanned her papers “Bill Cipher. I don’t know how true any of this is, but that’s what the report says.” Stan’s blood froze.

“Was he caught?” Stan asked, his voice low and threatening.

“Unfortunately no, but that’s not what I came here to discuss.”

“The twins.”

“Yes, they are in need of a care taker or they will be sent to an orphanage. Considering how that might look on the Pines name I located their nearest relative which is you and your brother.”

“I see…”

“I have the forms for you to sign, if you’re agreeable to this arrangement.” She said flipping through the stack of papers.

“Yeah… I don’t know if I’m the best person for this. Have you tried their grandfather?” He asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I have, he’s the one who pointed me to you and your brother. He felt that at his age he wouldn’t be able to protect or take care of them. He also informed me that you and your brother served in the Naval Guard so he sent me here.

“Can I have a minute alone with them, before I make my decision?” Stan asked to which she nodded.

Stan stood from the table and walked back in the shop and saw the twins, their hands still twined together. It made his heart hurt to look at them, they looked so lost. The girl, what was her name again? Reached for a jar of eye balls, causing her brother to scowl and for a moment a tiny smile curled the girl’s mouth upwards and he nearly melted.

“Five gold per eye kid.” He said, causing both the twins to jump and face him their faces blank once more. Stan sighed and stared down at them, it had been a long time since he had seen them last, just when they were newly born babes.

“Hi, I’m Mabel,” The girl said softly making Stan smile and knelt down in front of them. “And this is my brother, Dipper.” Dipper kept his gaze down at his shoes, refusing to meet his eyes.

“I’m your Great Uncle Stanley.” He said awkwardly; geez he didn’t know how to deal with kids.

“Are we going to be staying with you?” Dipper asked and Stan’s heart almost broke at how dead the kid’s voice was he watched as he pulled his sister closer to him.

“Well, that’s up to you. I don’t know anything about kids, but your family and always welcome here.” Stan didn’t know what he was doing, but when two pairs of shocked brown eyes met his Stan knew it was his job to protect these two from Cipher, he wouldn’t let that man near his family ever again.

“You really mean it?” Mabel whispered.

“Yeah kiddo, just call me Grunkle Stan.” He said, ruffling her damp hair, she beamed up at him before hugging her brother.

“I told you we would be fine.” She whispered, Stan smiled and ruffled Dipper’s hair.

“Yeah kid, listen to your sister. Now come help me fill out this damn paperwork.” The twins nodded and followed after him.

“Welcome back, did you come to a decision?” She asked, a knowing look in her eyes.

“Yeah, yeah where do I sign?” He asked as pulled out chairs for the kids and then flopped into the chair next to the woman. She sent him a smile before handing him a pen.

“Here,” She pointed. “And here, and here. And your initials here, and here.” Stan nodded reading over the papers quickly as he signed. He grimaced as he saw the twins ages, they were only ten and had lost both their parents in one go. It made something darkly fierce and protective rise up in him. No one was going to hurt these kids again.

“There, anything else you need?”

“No, that should be all. I will come by in a few days with their belongings.” She gathered up her papers and stashed them back in to her bag before smiling down at the twins and biding them goodnight before leaving the shop.

“Well… let me finish up here and we can head home, sound good?” Stan asked awkwardly. The twins nodded, both subdued and quiet. Stan couldn’t blame them, they had lost so much in their short lives. Making quick work of the remaining choirs, Stand grabbed his coat and keys and gestured to the door, the twins following as they exited the shop.

The Pines manor wasn’t too far from the Mystery Shack and they made good time despite the weather. Stan unlocked the door and rushed the kids out of the rain, that’s all he need, for them to get sick on top of everything else.

“Welcome to your new home.  Tomorrow I will work on getting bedrooms set up, since this was all short notice, but for tonight you can have Ford’s room.” He turned to face them as he flipped on the switch for the lights and the house filled with the hissing of steam as the lights flickered to life.

Stan took off his soaked coat and hung it up before holding out a hand to the kids, Mable released her brothers hand reluctantly and pulled off her coat reveling a purple sweater underneath before handing it to him, Dipper moved quickly pulling his off as fast as he could before grasping at his sisters hand once more.

“Are you guy’s hungry?” They shook their heads no and Stan sighed. They could eat in the morning, right now they looked dead on their feet.

“Ok, come on then.” He led them down the hall before heading up the stairs and turning left he stopped at his bedroom. “This is my room, if you need anything don’t hesitate to come and get me ok?”

“Yes sir.” They mumbled in unison and Stan sighed and led them to the room next to his and pushed the door open. Mabel and Dipper examined the room with wide eyes as Stan pulled out two of the smallest shirts he could find for them to sleep in. He placed them on the bed before facing them.

“I want you two out of those wet clothes. You can use these for tonight until we get the rest of your clothing. Remember, I’ll be right next door and you can come to me for anything. My door will be open.” They nodded and Stan smiled and ruffled both the kids damp hair “I’m going to go grab you two some towels.” he muttered to himself as he left the room.

After pulling out two fluffy towels he walked back into the room. Both the twins had changed and were now sitting on the edge of the bed. With a smile he stood in front of Dipper and dropped the towel on his head and began to dry the boy’s hair. Mabel giggled softly at her brother before Stan switched and grabbed the other towel and doing the same to hers.

“There, is that better?” He asked. The twins nodded sleepily before moving to crawl under the blankets

“Goodnight, Grunkle Stan.” Mabel murmured with a yawn.

“Night kiddos.” He whispered as he flicked off the bed room light and closed the door.

Stan didn’t know how long he stood outside the door listening to the twin’s soft breathing that slowly turned into sobs. Stan sunk down to the floor and buried his head in his hands as he listened to them. He didn’t know what he could do to comfort them. Only when the sobs from the room had finally stopped did Stan leave his post and enter his own room. He lay in bed for a long time before sleep took him. Bill Cipher would never touch these kids again. He laid in bed and glared at the ceiling thinking of the things he wanted to do to Bill Cipher, none of them kid appropriate. One thing was for sure, he would never let that rotten pirate touch those kids again.