chapter 30

A few weeks later… 

Dipper moved around his room packing his bag before a knock startled him and he turned to see Stan standing there. 

“So you’re leaving soon huh?” Stan asked, seeming to be nonchalant but Dipper could see under the man’s tough exterior. 

“Yeah, sometime within the next few days. Bill is getting antsy.  This is the longest he’s been on land in a long time and he is starting to feel a little nervous.  The open water is calmer on his senses and no one can sneak up on him.” Dipper said with an amused smile and Stan just shook his head. 

“He’s got a ship already?  That’s pretty fast.” 

“Well, that’s what he says.  Whenever I ask him about it he just goes all cryptic on me.” 

“You’re sure you want to go?” Stanley asked and Dipper walked toward his great uncle, the man who had raised him most of his life and smiled. 

“Yeah, I love him and I can’t think of anywhere I would want to be than with him.” Dipper admitted and Stan nodded.    

“Just wanted to make sure.  You’ll always have a home here if you ever need a break.” 

“I know, thanks Grunkle Stan.” 

“And be careful out there, make sure to write home often.” Stan said rubbing the back of his neck and Dipper wrapped his arms around him hugging him tightly ignoring the pull of the stitches in his shoulders before the man hugged him back. 

“I will, I promise.” he mumbled and felt Stan pat his back.  Dipper pulled back and smiled up at him. 

“I’ll miss you kid, but don’t tell anyone I said that.” Stan said with a pointed look and Dipper laughed.  

“I wouldn’t think of it.” 

“Good, let’s keep it that way.” Dipper chuckled before moving back to pack his bag as Stan left the room.