chapter 15

The wind blew, ruffling their brown hair as twin sets of brown eyes were locked in a staring contest as they waited to see who would make the first move. Mabel stared at her brother whose cheeks were still a light pink from when the captain had kissed him, clenching her fists Mabel opened her mouth to speak.

“Mabel, I can explain.” Dipper said beating her to the punch as he moved towards her. Mabel held her hands up and took a few steps back from him. There was nothing Dipper wanted to do more than pull her into a hug and never let go but that wasn’t going to happen.

“Can you? Can you really? Because I don’t know what you could say that would explain this situation.” She practically growled at him.

“Yes, just…can we go somewhere more private?” Dipper begged as he glanced around the deck of the ship where some of the crew members were working; several glanced in their direction more than once.

“Fine,” Mabel bit out and turned and followed Dipper down the stairs. Some of the crew members congratulating him before they reached a door that lead down to the lower decks. Mabel watched as her brother looked in both directions before deciding and heading down the hall.

The twins reached a door and Dipper pushed it open and moved so Mabel could enter the room, with a huff Mabel looked around the large room a bed in the corner which was unmade, a large desk and a couple of shelves, and a large window that appeared to look out onto the ocean with a couple of chairs facing it.

“Well?” Mabel asked as she turned to face Dipper who shut the door behind him.

“Mabel… I don’t know where to start.” Dipper admitted as he ran a hand through his hair.

“Start from the beginning.” Mabel said as she folded her arms.

“Well, I got kidnapped at the Northwest party, where I was dressed as you by the way… thanks for that, Pacifica had a field day with me trying on dresses to wear.” Dipper said giving her a pointed look, but Mabel was having nothing to do with it. As amusing as she would find that situation, right now she couldn’t find the humor. Her brother got the hint and looked abashedly downwards.

“Anyways, they thought I was a girl when they brought me aboard the Mindscape. Thought I was you really, until I tried to make a run for a long boat. Bill, the Captain, grabbed me by the wig and it got yanked it off, so yeah, the gig was up after that and everyone called me lass for a bit. I was given a choice; I could either rot in the brig or work on the ship.”

“Go on.” Mabel ordered when he paused for too long.

“I worked with the One Eyes’, mostly swabbing the deck and the other menial tasks that needed to be done. I was just a simple cabin boy, doing his chores.”

“You did good enough work to be promoted so quickly to Second Mate, or was that after you started fucking him?” Dipper gasped his eyes going wide, his mouth opening and closing a few times.