chapter 19

Bill let out a scream of frustration as he tried to call on his magic again only to have it avoid his grasp. He was still too weak to call upon it, golden eyes began to search the crowd before he opened his mouth.

“Tad!” Bill shouted and looked back up to see the creature carry his Pine Tree further and further away.

“Can’t you do anything!?” Mabel shouted as she ran over to him.

“I’m trying! Where’s Tad? I need him,” Bill shouted eyes frantically searching the dark sky as Shooting Star raced below deck. There was nothing, no sign or disturbance to prove that something had swooped in to disturb their peace and quiet. But Bill’s heart thundered and anger coursed through him telling him otherwise.

“What happened?” Tad shouted as he appeared above deck, followed closely by Mabel.

“Something took Pine Tree!” Bill shouted, his demon eye glowing red in anger. Tad yanked his own patch off and scanned the sky. There were faint traces of demonic activity, a signature he wasn’t familiar with. It would be too difficult to track as the air currents would quickly disperse the trail.

“Did you get good look at it?” Tad asked as he watched Bill’s eye flickering from red to black as he seethed.

“I did. We were standing over there, talking when it hit into us. There wasn’t much to see, its body was black, the eyes glowed red and it appeared to have four sets of wings.” Her voice trembled slightly, but she was keeping her emotions under control. Tad was impressed.

“Change course were going after it!” Bill shouted and the crew ran following his orders.

Mabel gritted her teeth. This wasn’t fair, she had just gotten her brother back! What foul creature was this that even the creatures on board this ship couldn’t detect the presence of it?

“Mabel,” It was the second time Tad had said her name before she turned to look at him. Her eyes were hard and sharp, if a bit shinier than usual. He could feel the anger and despair radiating off of her. “We’re going to get him back.”

She nodded and turned towards Bill who was searching the sky as Xanthar steered the ship into the direction he wanted. He tried pulling on his magic again which produced nothing but a wave of dizziness to course through him.

Fuck, fuck, FUCK!

“Captain, permission to join your crew.” Shooting star said as she spun towards him. Bill blinked at her and his eyes flicked towards Tad who looked just as surprised as he was. When he looked back at her, she stood straight and at attention. Her brown eyes, so familiar and yet so different, stared at him intently, serious and determined. It gave him sense of calmness he wasn’t really feeling and he grinned; a murderous rage still simmered and boiled just beneath the surface of his skin which was itching to be released.