chapter 3

Dipper awoke to a quiet house; that in itself was strange. With a yawn, he moved down to the kitchen where he found a note from his sister and Uncles. An emergency in the Naval Guard, they had been called away. Setting the note back down, Dipper just shrugged it off; it wasn’t the first time they had to go running off for an emergency, and he doubted it would be the last. He was just getting some coffee started when someone began knocking at the door. 

Pulling open the door reviled none other than Pacifica Northwest, dressed exquisitely in a pale green dress with her blonde hair piled on top of her head, tendril’s and curls artfully curling down around her face; it was way too early for him to be dealing with this. She gave him a look of irritation and sized him up and down, her nose scrunching up slightly. She was categorizing everything wrong with his appearance at the moment, from his hair that was messy from sleep to his lounge around clothes he wore on his day off. 

“I need your help.” 

“Nope.” Dipper shut the door, and turned back towards the kitchen. 

“Dipper Pines!! You open this door right this minute or so help me!” She shouted. Dipper let out a sigh and turned back to the door opening it wide so she could enter, closing the door he made his way back to the kitchen. Not bothering to see if she followed or not. 

“Would you like some coffee?” 

“Tea, please.” She said sharply and sat down at the small table. Of course, he thought. Dipper filled the kettle and placed it on to boil while he finished preparing his own cup of coffee. 

“Sugar? Cream?” 

“Two sugars.” Dipper nodded and poured the tea into the cup mixing the sugar in before placing it in front of the blonde. 

“Thank you.” She said curtly “I see you have finally learned a few manners.” She tisked softly, but there was a small smile ghosting her lips. 

“Hardly, I knew if I didn’t let you in you would just stand there shouting all morning, disturbing all the neighbors. And then Mabel would find out and I would never hear the end of it.” Dipper said with a snort, which she rolled her eyes at. 

The two sat in a comfortable silence as they drank their drinks and Dipper smiled softly in to his coffee. Their strange friendship/relationship had started off quite rocky when they had first met. They were just kids then, but over the years the three of them had become close. And as much as Pacifica irritated him, he enjoyed her company; plus it was better than being alone in the house. 

“I need your help.” Pacifica said after a while. 

“With what?” 

“Your sister won’t be making it to the party tonight.” Dipper’s brow rose. 

“They’ve been called to duty, I know. What does this have to do with me?” 

“I need her help, she needs to be there tonight.” 

“Well, I don’t see how that’s going to be possible. You know as well as I do that they could be gone for a few days or even weeks.” Dipper pointed out 

“I know, that’s the whole problem. I need her tonight. And I was complaining that it was too bad she couldn’t be in two places at once. Which of course gave her a brilliant idea.” Pacifica gave him a look, her eyes gleaming, and her small smile seemed almost feral. Dipper didn’t like it, not one bit. Whatever they had come up with, he wasn’t going to like. 

“I don’t like where this is going.” He muttered. 

“Oh pish-posh, it’s simple really, and it will only be for one night. All you have to do is pretend to be Mabel and attend the party.” 

It took several moments for that to full sink in. “W-What!?” Dipper shouted. 

“You two look very similar, being twins and all. Just put on a wig, a dress, and no one will tell any different.” Pacifica took a sip of her tea as if they were discussing the weather and not about him wearing drag. 

“Absolutely not!” Dipper could feel the heat of a blush creeping up on his cheeks and down his neck. 

“Come on Dipper it’s just for one night. No one is going to know or find out.” 

“No.” 

“What if I bought you a new book?” 

“No deal.” 

“Three books.”