chapter 18

How have you been fairing on my ship?” The Captain asked her as he replaced his eyepatch.

“As well as can be expected, for a prisoner.” Mabel retorted.

The pirate smiled at her and turned his back to her while he seemed to be studying a map. She frowned slightly, wondering why he was giving her such and opportunity. No enemy would turn their back to you, it was just…stupid. She shook her head slightly and went to sit in a chair.

“What is it you want from me?” She sighed.

“And why do you think I want something?” He asked turning and crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned back against the desk.

“Unlike my brother, I’ve worked with sailors and the like. I know what kind of shit is out there, what evil lurks in the darkness.” The Captain tilted his head slightly.

“And yet you remain so, true,” he mumbled.

“Why do you cover your eye?” She asked, waving a hand towards his eyepatch.

“Does it bother you?”

“Oh no, you do not answer my question with a question.” The pirate barked out a laugh at that.

“You are a breath of fresh air, I must admit,” he shrugged. “It’s out of habit really. Everyone on this ship knows of course. But I would forget when we would hit shore somewhere and that would just cause problems with the locals. So we kept to wearing them all the time.”

“What are your intentions with my brother? Because I will tell you right now, that if you hurt him, in anyway. Or if I find you have messed with his head, I will kill you.” Mabel growled softly.

“Shooting Star, I have no intentions of hurting Dipper.”

“Then why not let him go? Let us go?” Mabel watched him, how his eyebrows drew down and he looked towards his left, frown on his face. It made her shake her head in denial, a pit of foreboding formed in her stomach.

“I can’t. At least, not Pine Tree. I will take you to whichever port you desire if it is your wish to leave. But Dipper will be staying here on the Mindscape. He is part of my crew, which means he belongs to me.”

Mabel wanted to scream and pull her hair out in frustration. They were going to go round in circles with this. Some of her conversation with Dipper popped into her head, how this ship was full of creatures of mixed blood and supposedly magical abilities. And the pirate was protecting them. She stood up and paced the room a few times before she came to a stop before him.

“I want to believe my brother, I do. But you have to understand how difficult this is for me.” Bill’s gold eye studied her before he nodded slightly.