two.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and dug my keys out of my back pocket. The key slid into the lock and I slowly turned the handle and pushed; please don't creak, please don't creak.

"Baby?" I heard from the bedroom, and I froze.

"Um, hey. Sorry I'm late back, I had a parent call me to talk about- um her kids progress." I stamper. I was hoping I could slip in quietly to the bathroom and by then he'd be asleep.

I kick my shoes off at the front door and move them out of the way, not wanting a repeat of this morning. My heart rate quickened as I approached the bedroom door, open only a crack. I pushed the door open slowly, holding my breath. The light from the hallway seeped into the dark bedroom and then I saw his outline under the covers. He turned his head towards the door and opened his arms, signalling me to come lay with him.

I walk towards the side of the bed and sit down on the edge before leaning down and laying beside him, careful to not touch him first. He wrapped his arms around my stomach and pulled me into his chest, burying his face into my neck.

"I feel so sick baby. I haven't been able to get out of bed all day, had a pounding headache and my gut was swirling." He whines into my skin. My breath comes out in a staggered exhale.

"That's no good, did you want some water?"

I felt him nod against me so I rose and headed out to the kitchen. Once the door closed behind me, I finally let the air enter my lungs again. I got his glass of water and returned to the dark room, sitting the glass on his nightstand.

"I'm going to go shower ok, get some sleep Will." I quietly beg, and he nods while gulping down his water.

I headed back out into the hallway and into the bathroom a few doors down from our bedroom. I closed the door quietly behind me and locked it before sliding my back down the door to sit on the cold tile beneath me. I hadn't realised I was crying until I licked my lips and tasted the salty tears. I have never cried in front of another soul, and only ever cried twice outside of this bathroom. Once you show weakness or fear, people capitalise on that and use it to break you down to nothing.

I stood up, turned the shower on to the hottest temperature I could handle. Then I faced the mirror. I hated this part. I tucked my thumbs into the top of my jeans and slowly slid them down my legs and threw them into the hamper. Then I reached for my cardigan and slid it down my arms. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and took a deep breath, 'this is the last part' I told myself. I then crossed my arms over my stomach, grabbed at the hem of my shirt and pulled it over my head. I held my breath as I looked at myself, donning only my underwear.

Green and yellow tinted bruises littered my stomach, chest, upper arms and thighs. I turned slowly to check out my back, seeing the purple and blue splotches lining my back.

I gripped the bathroom counter and looked at my feet, I wanted to scream. I wanted to scream and throw something. I wanted to scream and throw something and sob.

Instead I stood up straight, reached behind me to undo my bra. I watched my face scrunch up in pain as I winced at the bruising in the area.

At least he was kind enough to avoid my face this time?

The hot water hit my skin and instantly my muscles relaxed. I remember reading somewhere when I was 15 that heat on bruises helps to increase blood flow to help them fade and I'm glad I remembered that bit of information, I have used it too many times to count.

Once I started fighting to keep my eyes open, I decided it was probably time for me to get out. I wrapped a towel around my body and tied my hair out of my face before sneaking down the hallway to the bedroom door. I took a deep breath and tiptoed into the room. He was asleep. I sighed in relief, reached for my pajamas at the foot of the bed and then tiptoed back out of the room and closed the door.

I walked down the hall to the living room and dropped the towel, put on my pajamas and grabbed the blanket I keep behind the couch. I always wait until he is asleep so I can sneak out to the couch to sleep, and I sneak back in before he wakes up.

I stared up at the roof, hands clasped together on my belly. "It could be worse, you have a roof, food, water and somewhere to sleep. It could be worse." I whispered repeatedly to myself.

It could be worse.