Chapter Thirty-Six

James' POV

I think my life isn't falling apart anymore. I have a family that actually likes me, friends at school, good grades. And the most important of all, nobody knows about my past.

Well, Troublemaker knows all about my past, but she isn't like everybody else. She doesn't give pitiful looks, doesn't apologize for something that she didn't do, doesn't treat me any differently, doesn't give me things that I don't deserve.

I really like Trouble, it's like we know each other from a past life, but we are rediscovering one another again.

When I was adopted, I wanted a fresh start from all the orphanage drama. And Trouble gave me that, and in return I gave her the clean page she needed. We completed each other in a way.

"James? What's the answer?" Mr. Jack asked me. I obviously don't know the answer because I didn't even remember I was in class. I stayed silent and struggled to get something out, seeing my struggle Pauline raised her hand

"Mr. Jack" She spoke up

"Yes, Miss. Miller?" The teacher turned around and faced Pauline

"Could you repeat the question please, I didn't quite understand" She said faking confusion

"I'm just asking what procedure was commonly used to 'cure' mental diseases in the early 1900's" He hissed

"Lobotomy" I say rapidly. This class is easy why do I not pay attention to it more often?

"That is correct" Mr. Jack said and continued the class

"Thanks" I mouthed towards Pauline. She just smiled and nodded

After class I had plans to hang out with Mary, but she said Leo needed her for the night. So, Pauline and Richie invited me to go to McDonalds with them, I accepted.

Mary's POV

I'm going to break up with Leo today. He asked me to go on a date with him, there's were I plan to end things.

"You know that guy who refused to sell booze to you?" Leo gently asked putting his arm around me

"Yeah, what about it?" I ask confused trying to get out of his tight embrace

"I'll teach him a lesson for you love" He said with a little wink

"What does that mean?" I ask worried.

Leo didn't answer. To be honest, I'm really scared, I have no idea what he could have done. And I don't doubt anything when it comes to Leo, he'd kill for me. He is crazy.

"Let's just say I've sinned for love" He said as we arrived at the winehouse he said he'd take me. The idea of going to a winehouse was very romantic, even for Leo, but now it's just scary.

"I still don't understand. What did you do?"

"You ask way too many questions Mars." He said angry and holding me tight by the waist

"I'm sorry Leo, I'll behave better next time" I said apologetic and looked at the floor. Even though my relationship with Leo isn't normal, I know he only does this because he loves me more that he can bear.

"It's okay babe" He said kissing the top of my head and opening the door of the date.

Inside the room there was a lot of wine, cold air, nice chairs and a man tied up in one of them. The man from the liquor store was bruised in the wrists and looking groggy. I've never felt so scared in my whole entire life, how am I supposed to break up with an inconsequent and possessive boy like Leo?

"Wanna do the honors my love?" he asked me with a smile. Pointing at he shortly awaken body of the man, who's name tag read 'Mario'. I shook my head as to saying no to the question.

"Where am-" Mario asked softly but was interrupted by a punch in the jaw coming from my small and terrible boyfriend.

"This is for resisting your way in here" Leo claimed with extreme anger. I freeze as I watch the scene with horror. Leo untied Mario and threw him on the floor.

"This." Leo kicked Mario's left leg "Is. For." Kicked Mario's right hip twice "Mistreating." Mario's ribs "MY GIRLFRIED!" jaw.

I probably made one of the biggest mistakes of my life in that moment, I screamed and I ran. I wasn't thinking straight, I just needed to get out of that horrible torture.

After about 15 minutes (that felt like 3 hours) I was at the bridge looking down at the water, mesmerized by the possibility of ending everything.

"MARY" I heard a scream from behind

Suddenly I was laying on the floor being held by Pauline's warm arms. Her eyes were full of tears, but she held them inside. I saw the sadness in her figure, and immediately regrated thinking about doing what I was going to do. So, I started to tear up too.

"Sorry" I mumbled under my breath

"It's okay, just never scare me this way again... please, alright?" She said cleaning the tears on my face

"I won't" I said sitting up and hugging her as tight as I can, she held me back

"I love you" She whispered in my ear. At this moment I knew I had to do something, so I did what I wanted to do for the longest time

I kissed Pauline. It probably lasted two and a half seconds but it felt like the best eternity in my entire life. Lin pulled away and looked scared, I immediately realized what we had just done.

"Fuck" We said at the same time

"I gotta get you home" She said concerned

The walk home was silent, and it was a bit haunting to think about what the whispers could say if someone had seen us. Life was sweet when I realized we never stopped holding hands. Why can't we be each other's?