CHAPTER 28: Stand Tall

"Hey, Julie and Lila! I've got your roadie!" Rob calls into our dressing room.

Julie gives me a panicked look. We hadn't seen the boys since right after Luke kissed me. The two of us had gone to the kitchen for a "drink," but really it was just time to gossip. When we came back, the boys were gone. Knowing everything that had been going on, I had a sinking feeling.

That feeling is still here.

"Come in," Julie says, a smile on her face. She's confident that the boys won't bail on us.

I however have experienced Caleb's tricks first hand. I wouldn't put it past him to ruin their one chance at crossing over. I fiddle with the bracelet I'm wearing.

Flynn enters the room. "Holograms are good to go, boss."

"Best roadie ever," Julie replies.

"I'll be back in a few minutes to walk you to the stage," the stage manager promises.

"Thanks, Rob," Julie tells him with a genuine smile.

Mine is a little more forced because of my worrying about the guys. Plus, we're opening for Panic! At The Disco, which is a big deal.

"Do you see this backstage pass?" Flynn hisses, showing it to us. "I had sushi with Brendon Urie."

"Good for you," Julie says, "I threw up in the car on the way here."

"I can confirm," I say, wrinkling my nose. "My shoes are proof."

Flynn's eyes dart to my feet.

"We got her a new pair," Julie explains.

"Well you still both look amazing," Flynn compliments. "I made friends with the tech crew. You're gonna love what we have planned. The guys are here, right?"

Her eyes dart around. Flynn has always been the flirtatious one. I made Julie promise not to tell her about my kiss with Luke because I need to focus on surviving tonight.

"We haven't seen them." Worry bubbles up higher in my stomach as I say those words. I hope I'll get to see them again.

"Wait, you don't think they changed their mind and took Caleb's offer, do you?" Flynn asks.

To be honest, the thought had occurred to me. That was something I mentioned to Luke. Maybe he had taken my advice. But I don't think that would happen without him saying goodbye.

Unless the kiss was goodbye...

Julie saves me, thankfully. "No, no. That's the last thing that they wanted."

Flynn sighs and wraps an arm around both of us. "Y'all are gonna kill it tonight."

"Thanks." I sigh.

"We should get some snacks," Flynn suggests. We head over to the sofa. I'm surprised to find gummies. I dig into those, eating my troubles away with sugar.

I'm wary of getting my costume sticky. It cost a lot of money.

Like Julie's, mine had a high-low skirt, but the back is lower than hers is. My cast caused a problem with the sleeves, so we ended up having to cut them off. I wanted lace rather than glitter because I've always felt it is more my style.

As for the black instead of colors...well, I'm mourning.

well, I'm mourning