CHAPTER 7: On Purpose ✔️

I DIDN'T KNOW that the lights would be this blinding. As I stand here, the butterflies are taking over my body. What was I thinking, trying to perform here in front of everybody? Julie is next to me on stage with a microphone ready to sing harmonies. She nods at me for encouragement. I breathe deeply and stare out into the crowd. Flynn grins up and gives me a double thumbs up.

Nick is standing near Flynn and he smiles, but I know that the expression is meant more towards Julie. Carrie scoffs at him and examines her nails as if she's uninterested.

That's a lie. Carrie feels threatened by Julie's sudden fame. She doesn't want the chance of anyone stealing her throne.

Or her boyfriend, even if their relationship is turned on and off like a light switch.

I think it is time for her power to go out.

The boys are watching from the back of the gym, ready to teleport onstage when it's time.

I inhale deeply again.

I can do this. I have to do tour.

I will do this.

"Whenever you're ready, Lila Mae," Mrs. Harrison says, pulling me back into reality. Her tone is kind, but firm. She is going out of her way to give me another chance so I better not blow it and I don't have forever to start singing.

My fingers trace the white tiles of the keyboard. I press them down in the order of the chords of the song.

Slowly, my eyes flit back to the audience, searching for Luke. Then I start singing.

"Your eyes crashing into my eyes. Was I accidentally falling in love?" I sing, blue eyes capturing Luke's from across the Gym. He stares back silently, enthralled by my voice. "Your words never meant to heal the hurt. Were coincidentally more than enough."

I portray all of my emotions through this one song. This song is my baby, my heart, my pride and joy. I feel and experience every word as it's sung, letting the meaning resonant then flow through me.

"All these days I never thought that I would need someone so much. Who knew?" I sing louder.

"Who knew?" Julie echoes in a light tone.

"But I don't think I ever planned for this helpless circumstance with you," I continue. I drop my voice, ready to showcase my powerful lower register. "You're scared, I'm nervous, but I guess that we did it on purpose, on purpose, on purpose. Baby I know it's weird, but it's worth it, 'cause I guess that we did it on purpose, on purpose, on purpose."

When I shout, "Hey!" the boys zap onto the stage. I grab the microphone and prance to the end of the stage. Julie continues a background vocal singing "Oh-oh, oh oh, oh-oh, oh oh oh. Oh-oh, oh oh" that mimics the sound of the music. She walks over to the keyboard, ready to pick up the piano part on the verses as I dance.

"But I guess that we did it on purpose," I sing loudly.