CHAPTER 25: Unsaid Emily

"So that's why I'm here," I conclude at the end of my story. Julie and Flynn's jaws are dropped.

"What are we supposed to call you?" Julie asks. "Lila Mae or Adelaide?"

"Everyone here knows me as Lila Mae, so I guess that's my new name," I respond. "If anyone were to know the truth it would cause mass confusion. How could I explain it without being put into a mental institution?"

"You couldn't," Flynn agrees. "I thought you two were crazy when you told me ghosts exist."

I nod in understanding.

"This," she continues, circling her hand in the air towards me, "is a whole new level of insanity."

"Do the boys know about this too?" Julie asks.

I nod again. "They were there when Willie showed me the articles and told me the truth. Everything flooded back to me when I was sleeping. All the memories."

"Your amnesia's gone?"

"Yeah," I say. "I don't know if I should be happy or terrified. If Caleb still owns my soul, then he's planning something."

"I don't want to think about that." Julie rubs her temples. "Luke, Alex, and Reggie told me last night about the brand. I can't lose all four of you."

"I'm still here," Flynn reminds her. "But I agree. I want Lila Mae to stay."

"Is there any possibility that Willie is right and you are free?" Julie asks. "Could the connection have been severed when you died?"

She keeps her voice low because we're in the cafeteria. I couldn't wait until we got to Julie's house. This news was too much.

"I don't know. We don't have a ghost manual or something on soul possessions," I reply sardonically. Julie frowns. "I'm sorry, I'm bitter about this situation, not you."

"It's okay, I can't imagine how you're feeling," Julie responds. "Is there anything that we can do to help?"

"I can delay your performances for the next couple of weeks if that's what you need," Flynn offers. "I can do that now as your manager."

I smile at how official she's made everything.

"Thanks, but I know I want to be there for the boys' last performance. If their existence really is danger, I don't want to keep them from saving themselves," I say. "My feelings can wait."

"But they don't have to," Julie replies. "That's what we're trying to say."

"They need to," I mutter. "Don't worry about it, okay?"

"Okay." Their responses are dubious, but neither girl pushes the topic farther.

"How are we going to play at the Orpheum?" Julie asks. "Our music video has done well, but I don't know if it's enough in so little time."

"I'm sure we can come up with a plan," Flynn assures her.

"I sure hope so," Julie mumbles. The bell rings and we head to our lockers. Some people ask for a selfie with us, so we give it to them.

"Thanks Julie and Lila!" they say as they walk away.

Hearing my "name" is like a stab to the heart. I abandoned my sister.

"Lila?" Nick asks me, squinting.

"What?" I reply. "Sorry, I'm in my head today."

He chuckles. "That's alright, I was just asking how your arm's been feeling."

"Oh! It's better," I respond. "Not too much pain."

"That's good," he replies. "You guys' performance last night was pretty amazing."