CHAPTER 17: Finally Free ✔️

FLYNN AND I arrive around the same time, so we only have to wait on Julie. The boys are here in literally a flash, ensuring that they won't stand us up again. They know that this is their last chance.

I convinced Daniel that I could pass the Calculus test after taking the practice test in front of him and getting most of the answers right. It meant that I had to memorize those answers and solutions, but it was worth it. Who knows? Maybe I actually learned something along the way.

"Next up, Dirty Candy!" the announcer tells everyone in a less-than-enthused voice.

"Am I too late?" Julie asks.

"Too early," Flynn replies, nodding towards the stage. Now we had to watch Dirty Candy perform.

Ugh. I should have studied Calculus longer.

"Hope you all came to have a great time!" Carrie says in a fake sweet tone before slipping on sunglasses that match the rest of her bright outfit.

"Dirty Candy? How'd she get on the list?" Julie questions.

"Her daddy probably made a call," Flynn replies with distaste. She notices something on Julie's jacket. "I like this! Pretty flower."

"Thanks, it's a dahlia," Julie replies, tugging on her jacket. "My mom's favorite."

At the end of the verse, Alex teleports onto the stage. We glance back to Luke and Reggie. Reggie shrugs. I'm interested in seeing what happens.

The blond begins dancing and mimicking Carrie's dance moves, popping his hip out and bouncing around. I slap a hand over my mouth, trying not to burst into laughter. Julie elbows me.

"Ouch!"

Alex happens to return.

"You having fun out there?" Julie asks with amusement.

"It's not my fault, it's my um...it's my feet," Alex defends.

"Yeah," Julie and I say, not believing him.

"Put me back in, coach," Alex says, zapping back onto the stage.

Flynn looks to us in confusion.

"It's the guys," I explain.

When Carrie sings about leading and puts her hands out, Alex walks through her. I giggle again, then snort as I'm trying to cover it.

As the song ends, Alex spins around. "Making me blush."

"Thank you! Thank you!" Carrie bows exaggeratedly.

"Alex." Luke is grinning. I can tell he really loves his friends.

"Hey, um...I was just...I was just doing that for you guys," Alex supplies.

Reggie's arms are crossed as he goes, "Mhmmm."

It takes every ounce of my restraint not to laugh again.

"Yeah, you can stop smiling now," Reggie says with a head nod. We all chuckle.

"You should dance more often," I say, "that was great!"

Alex's face turns a shade of pink.

"I'm not gonna lie," Julie begins, "that was...kinda good."

"Yeah. I forgot why we hate her so much," Flynn says.

"How?" I ask. "I didn't. That song was all about her being conceited."

Just as I say that, Carrie flounces over.

"Hi, girls. Um, isn't it past your bedtime?" she asks in an irritatingly upbeat tone.