CHAPTER 16: Trouble ✔️

I PULL ON loose strings from my ripped jeans as I wait for Mr. Ray to finish his phone call with Daniel. I'm sure that he won't be nearly as ecstatic about my newfound friendships when he finds that I missed an important test because of my social life.

"Your foster dad is on the way," Mr. Ray tells me upon pressing the red button. "I didn't realize you were adopted."

"I'm not officially adopted," I murmur, "it's a long story."

"I'm trying to say that I understand you are angry and feel that you need to be reckless, but please keep Julie out of that, okay?" he asks sincerely. "I trust that you can be a good kid, so try, please."

I blink. Does he think Julie getting in trouble was my fault?

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask slowly, straightening from my nonchalant slouched position.

"I don't know what's going on with my daughter anymore," he says, sighing. "And as far as I know, you're the only thing that changed in her life."

I blink again.

"Mr. Molina, we didn't lie to you when we said we overslept at Flynn's house," I reply. "She didn't wake us up. We didn't mean to miss school. Julie lied about everything being okay because she didn't want to stress you. You're already under a lot of pressure."

He nods, finally understanding me. "Next time be more careful, okay? I don't want her Aunt Victoria to break up your friendship because she thinks you're a bad influence."

So that's who this really is coming from. Aunt Victoria.

I peer around the hallway to see her eavesdropping. She widens her eyes at being discovered.

"I didn't mean to accuse you, mija," she begins, thinking it would soften the blow to use an affectionate term.

Yeah, right.

"Eso es exactamente lo que has querido decir," I respond in Spanish, surprised that I remember that much. "No mientas."

My Spanish has been improving.

At least that's one class that I won't fail.

"Chiquita," she starts, putting an arm out in my direction.

I shake my head, not wanting false sympathy. Aunt Victoria is new to me, so I don't know if she is the type of person to talk trash behind my back, then feel guilty when I find out. The pattern usually doesn't break with people like that.

I dash out to the porch and sit on the steps, trying not to cry. No matter what I do, everyone thinks I'm a mistake.

"Why didn't I die?" I mumble, pulling up my knees to my chest. "That would have been better."

It seems like I've been causing more problems than fixing them.

"Hey, don't say that," a guy tells me. I recognize that voice.

"Reggie?" I mutter softly. "That you?"

"Yup," he replies, sitting down next to me. "I can tell you there is a handful of people who are glad you didn't die."

"Yeah?" I rub my eyes.

"Yeah." He pauses, not sure what to say. I get the impression that Alex has always been the sensitive one, Luke the goofy heartthrob, and Reggie the funny, dumb one. He's actually a lot smarter than he lets on. "I know I'm sure glad you didn't die. Then who would sass us and keep us in check? Who would have gotten Julie to rejoin the band?"

It really is all about the music. "Flynn."

I'm expendable.

"Maybe, but she wouldn't have been able to know what's going on with Luke," Reggie says. "See, I like to people watch nowadays. There isn't much else to do when it's a one-sided relationship."