CHAPTER 10: Stolen ✔️

AFTER PERFECTING THE most recent addition to my song repertoire, I dig out an old pop song that I wrote. It doesn't look like it has been finished, but I can tell that it is meant for a duo.

"This is supposed to be a song for two girls to sing, so I was thinking Julie and I could do this," I say. "I can use the mix board to make it sound even better. We can harmonize on the chorus."

I sing the melody and Julie nods.

"Yeah, we can sing a low harmony when it's not our turn to have the attention," she says.

Ironically, the song is called 'Wow' like Dirty Candy's band. I picked it to prove that you don't have to be egotistical about every song that you write.

That's clearly a lesson that Carrie hasn't learned.

After rehearsing that song for about thirty minutes our drummer finally chooses to show up.

"Oh. Hey, Alex," Reggie greets him.

Luke cuts to the chase. "Where have you been, man? We need to start practicing."

"Yeah? For what?" Alex asks as Flynn makes her grand entrance.

"Dance news!" she declares, grinning. "I don't have a date. Buuuut, I don't care because I'm so psyched to see you guys perform."

"Oh, man. We're playing a dance?" Alex questions in a tone that makes me feel insulted.

Luke says something before I can step in. "Of course, dude. That's how we get a following nowadays."

"Yeah, get with the program, Alex," Julie teases.

"Maybe you would have known if you were here earlier," I add, shrugging my shoulders, "just saying."

"What? The guys are here?" Flynn asks excitedly. She turns in the opposite direction to greet them. "Hey, guys!"

I grab her shoulders and turn her as Julie says, "The other way, sweetie."

"Oh." Flynn turns and waves. Alex and Reggie wave back in a friendly way.

"OK, well now that Alex has graced us with his presence, can we start working?" Luke asks.

Since he was the lead singer for Sunset Curve, Luke is used to being the boss. That may have worked in '95, but we are going to have problems if Luke treats me like that. I don't like being told what to do. That's why I almost missed my opportunity to get into the music program.

"Yes! We're gonna rehearse," Julie replies.

I feel bad for Flynn because she can't hear the other end of the conversation. The poor girl must be so confused, but she isn't handling it badly.

"Do you wanna stick around?" I ask her, aware that she might not want to waste her time.

"I'm supposed to blow up 500 balloons for the school dance, but this sounds way better," Flynn tells us.

"Hey, Julie!" Carlos interrupts, "Remember those orbs in Dad's pictures? I...I think they're ghosts."

Oh, no. This could be a problem.

He shows his older sister the pictures. "But don't worry, this room is...this room is clean. I'm not getting the ghost tinglies."

"Wrong again, little dude." Reggie grins.

I cover a snort of laughter. Luke grins as well and looks between them.

"Have no fear! If they come back, I will protect you, because I am the man of the house," her brother says.